Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi,

I was just wondering because I have gotten a Tinker since yesterday, does anyone else also have such a thing? So are we entering another Tinkerstorm....? Really don't hope so, this Tinker is killing my production!

Fold on!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I already expected this question would rise. A tinker is a WorkUnit (WU) that takes a lot of time. A windoos machine handles it better then a Mac because it doesn't support altivec that the Mac has (increases foldingspeed a lot!). So, you have to crunch solely on your cpu power. And also a heavy Tinker has a lot more steps then a Gromac WU. The Gromac WU's are going to 100%, the tinker go with frames. Tinkers have frames of 100, 200 or 400. And I have one that has 400 frames!!! On my G5 1.8 it takes about 4 days running it 24/7, and you only get 70 points for it. When there is a tinkerstorm, a lot of people get tinkers and then you really see a hit in everybodies point increase and in our team.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I would assume this is a little to small to be considered a Tinker but so far on my G4-500 its been 27 hours and only 71% done.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
wdlove said:
So how do you know if you have this tinker?

Well, there are two types of WU's, Tinkers and Gromacs. Look at the Stanford's project summary page and that has all the info on every WU. How many points, if it is a tinker or Gromac, how many days you have got to get it finished, etc.

Sparky's, allready saw your name with the new folders! So you allready finished your first WU! Congrats!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
So cool, I'm really getting into this. It seems I'm crunching a GROMAC. I'm number 732 in the screen shot.

Fold on.....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sparky's said:
So cool, I'm really getting into this. It seems I'm crunching a GROMAC. I'm number 732 in the screen shot.

Fold on.....

Yes, that's a Gromacs. Dreadnought is the only one in the world with a (s)Tinker.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
For those of you using the console versions, make sure that you enable the advmethods switch to force F@H to give you gromacs proteins. You'll still get an occasional sTinker, but they will be few and far between.

You can check the switches that F@H is running with by opening FAHlog.txt and looking immediately below the initial hashes for the "Arguments" line.

If -advmethods is not listed there, you're more susceptible to sTinkers. If you want help adding the switch I can do so, but it entails some Terminal work.

For those using the GUI or Screensaver clients, please consider switching to the console version.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Do you know which that I have installed Rower_CPU. I had MrMacMan assist with my installation. My was installed via the Terminal. Is there anything that I should be doing?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
If your install was via mc68k's script or via the Terminal, you're running the console version.

Like I said above, check FAHlog.txt (it will be inside your F@H directory) for the switch.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rower_CPU said:
If your install was via mc68k's script or via the Terminal, you're running the console version.

Like I said above, check FAHlog.txt (it will be inside your F@H directory) for the switch.

Please be patient whith me Rower_CPU. It was very helpful for me when MrMacman gave me step by step directions. When it comes to the Terminal, I want to be very cautions. The only thing that I use it for is to type "work" as instructed by MrMacman. I have 3 Mac's that I will need to change. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wdlove said:
Please be patient whith me Rower_CPU. It was very helpful for me when MrMacman gave me step by step directions. When it comes to the Terminal, I want to be very cautions. The only thing that I use it for is to type "work" as instructed by MrMacman. I have 3 Mac's that I will need to change. ;)

I believe that you can open the Terminal application and type the following and press <return> or <enter> to see:

grep "Arguments:" ~/FAH1/FAHlog.txt

NB: There is one space on each side of "Arguments:".

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You can open FAHlog.txt in TextEdit to see what it contains. No need for the Terminal, yet. ;)

edit - bous' make that
grep "Arguments:" ~/F@H1/FAHlog.txt
and
grep "Arguments:" ~/F@H2/FAHlog.txt
if you're running on 2 processors.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
bousozoku said:
Yes, that's a Gromacs. Dreadnought is the only one in the world with a (s)Tinker.

Yeah thanks Bousozoku! Thank my G5 that it already finished it! Looking at the stats of our team, looks like I am not the only one that had a (s)Tinker. We took a dive a couple of days back to only 18000 points... So probably more of us had this wonderfull protein!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Rower_CPU said:
For those of you using the console versions, make sure that you enable the advmethods switch to force F@H to give you gromacs proteins. You'll still get an occasional sTinker, but they will be few and far between.

You can check the switches that F@H is running with by opening FAHlog.txt and looking immediately below the initial hashes for the "Arguments" line.

If -advmethods is not listed there, you're more susceptible to sTinkers. If you want help adding the switch I can do so, but it entails some Terminal work.

For those using the GUI or Screensaver clients, please consider switching to the console version.

Rower, you refer to this as a "switch". I have checked my log and it is listed as on I guess, but is it something that would "switch" off?

Also, I have modified my signature a little to reflect the Stanford site and our team, but is there an easy way to have my point count automatically update?
I do it now manually each time I log in I go there first and check my stats then update it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
wdlove said:
So how do you know if you have this tinker?
you look at your process list to find what core folding is running.

core65 = tinker

core78 = gromacs

to look at your process list type in top -u
The core will be at the top since it has the most CPU time

alternatively you could use activity monitor (10.3.3)
-or-
process viewer (10.2.8)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Sparky's said:
Rower, you refer to this as a "switch". I have checked my log and it is listed as on I guess, but is it something that would "switch" off?

Also, I have modified my signature a little to reflect the Stanford site and our team, but is there an easy way to have my point count automatically update?
I do it now manually each time I log in I go there first and check my stats then update it.

Command-line switches listed are "on". If it's not declared when launching the process, it's "off".

Manual sig updates are the only method, I'm afraid. The closest you'll get to something automatic is something like wdlove's link to a stats image. If images in sigs were allowed it'd be a piece of cake - but there's no way arn will allow that.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Yup, I just got a tinker today. I don't think I've seen one of those for quite a few months...Maybe The Knights Who Say Ni made a deal to dump a bunch of Tinkers out there so they can catch up to us again! ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
mc68k said:
you look at your process list to find what core folding is running.

core65 = tinker

core78 = gromacs

to look at your process list type in top -u
The core will be at the top since it has the most CPU time

alternatively you could use activity monitor (10.3.3)
-or-
process viewer (10.2.8)

I checked the Activity Monitor on the iBook it said 78e. :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rower_CPU said:
You can open FAHlog.txt in TextEdit to see what it contains. No need for the Terminal, yet. ;)

edit - bous' make that
and

Rower_CPU are you now saying that I should use the Treminal? Do I type exactly as: grep "Arguments:" ~/F@H1/FAHlog.txt, for each processor no spaces? Then hit return? So this is done to increase production to get >gromacs?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
wdlove said:
Rower_CPU are you now saying that I should use the Treminal? Do I type exactly as: grep "Arguments:" ~/F@H1/FAHlog.txt, for each processor no spaces? Then hit return? So this is done to increase production to get >gromacs?

I was only correcting bousozoku's command. TextEdit is really your best bet.

The commands above, when typed into the Terminal will return the content of that line in FAHlog.txt and let you see what's there. They do not change any of your settings.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rower_CPU said:
I was only correcting bousozoku's command. TextEdit is really your best bet.

The commands above, when typed into the Terminal will return the content of that line in FAHlog.txt and let you see what's there. They do not change any of your settings.

I went to Applications > TextEdit, then typed in above. Hit return nothing happens?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Rower_CPU said:

edit - bous' make that
and

Okay, fine. I'm not running mc68k's scripts so I don't know where they are really. I was trying to remember. :D Do I get points for being close?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.