Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffcullen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I have a MBP and i'd like a hub that has both firewire 800 and usb 2.0 technology to connect to the MBP.

I have an external HD thats FW800 and a mouse, printer, etc. that is USB. Belkin makes the following drive:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=199941

It uses FW400 but has the general concept down (although I'd prefer if it was smaller). I've searched the internet and couldn't find anything, perhaps you guys know of something I dont. Also if one were to have such a hub you'd have to plug in both a FW800 and USB cable for each different adapter to work correct? Or could you just plug in the FW800 and still have the USB's working. Thanks.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
First off that particular Belkin is a non-powered hub (as I noticed in the features section) which limits the amount of usefulness with USB for a multitude of reasons.

I have never seen a combination USB and FW800 hub anywhere myself- and even finding a FW800 hub by itself is a bit of a challenge at least in terms of reasonable costs. NitroAV (an excellent source for FW PCI cards and such) has an 8 port one here but it is $154 too. Synchrotech has a four port one (one port in, three out) for $99 here as well.

And yes, you need to feed a combo type hub a USB cord plus a FW cord. The combo hubs are just packaged with FW and USB together for convenience- there is no conversion going on inside.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
If you only have the one hdd using that FW800 port, what is the point of getting a hub? Just plug it into the one port. That will save you a lot of money, and you won't have the slight speed drop from having the hub. Many Firewire devices allow you to daisy-chain them; does your HDD have 2 FW ports or no? If not, a new FW device you get may very well have that, and you again won't have the headache of needing a hub....

getfuzzy77

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I have a MBP and i'd like a hub that has both firewire 800 and usb 2.0 technology to connect to the MBP.

I have an external HD thats FW800 and a mouse, printer, etc. that is USB. Belkin makes the following drive:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=199941

It uses FW400 but has the general concept down (although I'd prefer if it was smaller). I've searched the internet and couldn't find anything, perhaps you guys know of something I dont. Also if one were to have such a hub you'd have to plug in both a FW800 and USB cable for each different adapter to work correct? Or could you just plug in the FW800 and still have the USB's working. Thanks.

I'm not aware of a hub that will do FW800 and USB, but there is an IOGear hub that has 2 FW400 ports and 4 USB ports. Model#: GUH420 It goes for about $30, but yeah you have to plug in a USB and FW cable, so it kind of defeats the purpose you're looking for. May as well get two separate hubs.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I'm not aware of a hub that will do FW800 and USB, but there is an IOGear hub that has 2 FW400 ports and 4 USB ports. Model#: GUH420 It goes for about $30, but yeah you have to plug in a USB and FW cable, so it kind of defeats the purpose you're looking for. May as well get two separate hubs.

Sounds similar to what was already linked to.

I say again: Does the OP actually have more than 1 FW800 device? If not fogettaboutit. Plus, many FW800 devices are higher-end anyway, and may well have two FW800 ports so you can simply daisy-chain them, the way FW was meant to be "hubbed"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.