Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avpmusik

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
i have a question, currently i have a Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core intel Xeon Processor, 6 gb ram. i am blown away by what the new mac pro's come with.

is it possible, and easy to upgrade my processor from a dual core, to either the very latest, or to a quad core model?

and if it IS possible, after replacing (or service to replace cpu) will i need to reinstall OSX and all my document and program files?

and lastley, if it IS possible, where would i go about finding a faster processor?

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
is it possible, and easy to upgrade my processor from a dual core, to either the very latest, or to a quad core model?

I've never owned a Mac Pro and I don't know the specifics with respect to your question. You cannot exchange the CPUs in your machine with the same CPUs that are in the 2009 Mac Pros. You might be able to replace them with CPUs built on the same core as yours.

and if it IS possible, after replacing (or service to replace cpu) will i need to reinstall OSX and all my document and program files?

No. You shouldn't have to reinstall OSX after a CPU upgrade.

and lastley, if it IS possible, where would i go about finding a faster processor?

Newegg, Tigerdirect, Frys, Craigslist, Ebay...

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Your best bet is to find two Xeon X5355 (2.66GHz) or Xeon X5365 (3.0GHz) processors on eBay. Engineering samples can be found pretty cheap when they come up and will work fine. There are plenty of threads on here on how to install them.

However you may want to consider selling your old Mac Pro and buying a either a 2008 system, or waiting and getting a refurbished 2009 system. Or you could pay the extra and get a 2009 new.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I upgraded my 2006 mac pro a couple weeks ago. read through this thread, then you can ask me pretty much anything that you still want to know. PM me if you want.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
i have a question, currently i have a Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core intel Xeon Processor, 6 gb ram. i am blown away by what the new mac pro's come with.

Yup! It's possible! Here's one mixed in with the other macs so you can see what performance boosst you'll be getting too: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7270035/ See the entry called "2006 2.66 Octad (Upgraded)". That's me. :D Upgraded using the X5355 procs a week after they released. ;)

And I would look on ebay or some other used equipment site where it's sold by owner. I bet you can do the upgrade for about $500 before you sell you're old procs. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.