Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
This might be a stupid question but bare with me I am a newbie.

I just bought a mac book with a 320GB HD but it says the disk capacity is only 297GB. I was wondering why this is.

Help Much appreciated.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
It's a math thing. It has to do with the fact that 1000 does not equal 1024. Point is, everything is normal with your 320GB HD showing as about 297.77.

If you need a full explanation or a need to confirm the fact that everything is normal, click the MRoogle link in my signature and search the topic because it's been discussed several times. -GDF

Scippy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
Wikipedia gives a good explanation.

Since the early 2000s most consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes (whether it is disk capacity, file size, or system RAM) by 1,073,741,824. This distinction is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may be reported by the operating system as only 372 GB large, depending on the type of report.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Gigabytes_vs._gigabits

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
basically, to dumb it down even more: Your drive is 320,000,000,000 bytes, which in fact equals about 297gb, but for simplicity purposes they say it equals 320gb.

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
It's a math thing. It has to do with the fact that 1000 does not equal 1024. Point is, everything is normal with your 320GB HD showing as about 297.77.

If you need a full explanation or a need to confirm the fact that everything is normal, click the MRoogle link in my signature and search the topic because it's been discussed several times. -GDF

Yep math thing not mac thing. I didn't think about that I should remember seeing as I am studying IT and Business. I make the excuse that we are more focused on business lol.

Thanks !

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hard to believe how many threads we have on exactly the same question. Does no one bother to search first? It seems like there's a new version of the same question every other day.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Does no one bother to search first?

Frankly, I always have a moment when I feel like a sucker or a chump when I search first -- "Here I am, taking my own time to find my own answer, when I could just clog the board with a new thread..."

Then I take a deep breath, say a mani, and I feel better -- about 1.024 times better, in fact.

:)

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
basically, to dumb it down even more: Your drive is 320,000,000,000 bytes, which in fact equals about 297gb, but for simplicity purposes they say it equals 320gb.

I'm not convinced it's for 'simplicity purposes' as much as 'advertising purposes.'

It's sorta like buying a dozen eggs and only getting eleven - less inventory costs on the part of the farmer means they spend less to get the same money from you. They could simply advertise it as eleven eggs (which would generate less revenue) or include that twelfth egg (which would increase the manufacturing costs) - but why bother, when they can simply claim it's a dozen, and then include a disclaimer in Wiki that the "dozen" number is an approximation.

It's a bit of a shame that we all just accept this, but it's been going on for so long now that it's pretty well ingrained in the business. At this point, if anyone started calculating drive size based on actual bits, I think people would be more confused, not less!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I was always under the impression that hard drives are (close) to the capacity they claim but by the time you get your OS and everything installed on there they show lower capacity (obviously)

I'm probably wrong tho..

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I was always under the impression that hard drives are (close) to the capacity they claim but by the time you get your OS and everything installed on there they show lower capacity (obviously)

I'm probably wrong tho..

Yeah, you're wrong :p I doubt OS X takes about 40GB on my 500GB HDD while it takes 20GB on his 320GB HDD :p

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Yeah, you're wrong :p I doubt OS X takes about 40GB on my 500GB HDD while it takes 20GB on his 320GB HDD :p

Yea I never gave to much thought to it. I just thought that the 'missing space' was due to OS being installed.
But like I said I was probably wrong!
Learn something new everyday! ;)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I'm not convinced it's for 'simplicity purposes' as much as 'advertising purposes.'

It's sorta like buying a dozen eggs and only getting eleven - less inventory costs on the part of the farmer means they spend less to get the same money from you.
Nope. It's like buying a dozen eggs and getting a dozen, but the box gives the contents in octal (14) while you count in decimal (12).

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Nope. It's like buying a dozen eggs and getting a dozen, but the box gives the contents in octal (14) while you count in decimal (12).

Well, technically true ;) I just thought that would make the analogy even more confusing.

Although I'd argue that it gives the contents as 12 (octal) when it is really 10 (decimal), since most people think a dozen is twelve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.