Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1
lapino
macrumors regular

Remember window position and auto-arrange icons?

Whenever I open the programs-section of the finder, the windows is always slightly positioned off-screen (about 1/3rd is out of the screen to the right). When I drag the window to a new (so I can see all) position, it always jumps back whenever I close and reopen the finder. Any fix for this?

Also, is there a way to get the icons to auto-arrange themselves like I can setup in Windows?
lapino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:04 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Issue #1 looks to me like a Finder preferences problem. Try this:
  1. Open your home folder, then Library, then Preferences
  2. Locate the file "com.apple.Finder.plist" (without the "quotes") in this folder
  3. Move it elsewhere, then log out and back in for the change to take effect

Issue #2 is also easily fixed. In the menus for Finder, you should notice an item called View Options. Go in here, set things the way you want them, then click Use as Defaults to make these settings global. Note that you may need to have a Finder window open to do this.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:05 AM   #3
MistaBungle
macrumors 6502a

I seem to be having issues similar to this and whatnot and quite often it is suggested deleting the plist. I think this is going to be a common reaction for me in the future if things are acting up.

I also want to try and reposition my windows.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X