Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
rshire
macrumors newbie

Screenshot not working

I have been using the basic screenshot function (command, shift, 4) on my iMac for a long time now, and suddenly just this week it started returning only a black screen. Somehow it isn't taking a picture of what I selected and is merely saving a picture of a black screen on my desktop!! This is killing me because I use screenshots so frequently -- does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks
rshire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
kastenbrust
Banned

Screenshot is: Command + Shift + 3, It will save a shot of your screen on your desktop.

Control + Shift + 4 = Screenshot of Specific Region, so if you dont choose a region you will just get black or random looking photos.

Last edited by kastenbrust; Mar 17, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
rshire
macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried that as well, and it's still showing the same empty, black shot as with the more area specific screenshot!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
kastenbrust
Banned

Go to the terminal and type:
(you can copy and paste it)

defaults write com.apple.screencapture disable-shadow -bool true

now log out and log back in again
let me know if that worked!
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5
rshire
macrumors newbie

AWESOME!! That worked right away. I have no idea why it was doing that. . . . Thank you so much for your help!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:58 AM   #6
bravenewniche
macrumors newbie

Not sure how to work Terminal

Been having the same black screen - hope this will work, but I'm such a newbie with Terminal that I don't know what you mean about logging in and out.

When I open Terminal, I seem to be logged in already, or do you mean logging off my system completely as a user and then logging back in (my Mac has simply worked for the last year so I never log off and on - unlike my Windows machine :-) )
bravenewniche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:24 AM   #7
scienide09
macrumors 65816

Try opening Terminal, then entering the command exactly as written. Then, close terminal, and log out of your user account for the computer. Finally, log in to your user account and try taking screenshots again.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:55 AM   #8
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenewniche View Post
Been having the same black screen - hope this will work, but I'm such a newbie with Terminal that I don't know what you mean about logging in and out.

When I open Terminal, I seem to be logged in already, or do you mean logging off my system completely as a user and then logging back in (my Mac has simply worked for the last year so I never log off and on - unlike my Windows machine :-) )
It means logging in/out of your computer account. This step is needed because of the changes it makes to the OS. There's likely a Terminal command to restart something without needing to logout, but logging out is the easiest method. You can try the following Terminal command if you want to avoid logging out.
Code:
killall -HUP SystemUIServer
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
bravenewniche
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I did the user log off method, and sure enough, when I logged in again, no more black screens.

I'm assuming that it was trying to apply a "shadow" and all I was getting was the shadow part... but why all of a sudden was it applying the shadow, or has it been applying a shadow all along and then the process of applying it gets fouled up some how...

Curious in Vancouver

Last edited by bravenewniche; Apr 30, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: bad grammar
bravenewniche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:03 PM   #10
makbook
macrumors newbie

Black, now Blue!?

Hi, I have a macbook aluminum unibody (late 2008), (with a nVidia graphics chip) and i am running OS X 10.5.7

I had the same black screenshot problem, and when i tried the terminal command, i logged out and logged back in, and then i took both a cross-hair (command-shift-4) and a full screenshot, and now, instead of black, my screenshots turn out all blue! HELP! PLEASE! I NEED SCREENSHOTS! Thanks!

P.S. There was a gray frame around the middle of the full screen shot. Does this matter?
makbook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:21 AM   #11
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbook View Post
Hi, I have a macbook aluminum unibody (late 2008), (with a nVidia graphics chip) and i am running OS X 10.5.7

I had the same black screenshot problem, and when i tried the terminal command, i logged out and logged back in, and then i took both a cross-hair (command-shift-4) and a full screenshot, and now, instead of black, my screenshots turn out all blue! HELP! PLEASE! I NEED SCREENSHOTS! Thanks!

P.S. There was a gray frame around the middle of the full screen shot. Does this matter?
You can try
resetting the PRAM

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:03 PM   #12
PrplPplEater
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to PrplPplEater
I am having the same issue. I tried both the terminal solution and resetting the PRAM but they still come out all black. Anyone have a solution here?
PrplPplEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:38 AM   #13
PrplPplEater
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to PrplPplEater
Solution

I finally have a solution for this, if anyone else is having issues. Somehow my display settings had gone screwy.. all I had to do was change my screen resolution and then change it back. I don't know why this happened, so unfortunately I can't give you a way to prevent it.
PrplPplEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:46 PM   #14
HardyMacia
macrumors newbie

My issue was I was Screen Sharing to another computer. Once I quit out of the remote computer it screen capture worked again.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:27 AM   #15
MarkH356
macrumors newbie

I tend to use the GRAB utility. It lets you do a screen shot, window shot or choose just a bit of the screen. Handy part is the timed screen shot.
MarkH356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help