Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiwhitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
What are your preferences with Toast Titanium 10 vs MacTheRipper and Handbrake for watching DVD movies on my appleTV?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
If you rip with mactheripper, then you can use either Toast or Handbrake to convert. Toast uses quicktime for conversion to AppleTV format, which is slower and generally considered to be of lesser quality.

Depending on your CPU, I would suggest ripping to the hard drive first with mactheripper, fairmount, or ripitapp. Then use Handbrake with the AppleTV preset for conversion to .m4v

Hasa

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
San Francisco, CA
My experience with HB and MTR

Athough it is true that you could encode directly from HB without the need of MTR, there will be a time soon enough that you'll find out why adding MTR to the mix is better. First off, HB's developers are more focused on the encoding aspect (and they do a really good job at it) and don't seem to either have the resources or interest in keeping up with the latest anti-piracy layers that studios are adding to new and most popular DVDs. So, if you are lucky enough to be transferring your DVDs for your ATV or iPod that don't have the extra layer of anti-piracy measures, you might not ever have the need for MTR. But, if you notice that your DVDs are not ripping correctly or HB is quitting before the rip is complete you might want to consider getting the latest version of MTR. MTR will let you know when it encounters such things (i believe one of them is ArCOSS, spell?) I had a hard-time upgrading to the latest version of MTR some months ago but managed to and it helped in being able to get over some "humps" with certain DVDs. Although it is an extra step, it doesn't add that much extra time. I use the first gen MB-black (2GB ram) and a 2-hr movie usually rips in about 35 mins with MTR and then HB takes an extra 20-25 mins. Much newer systems with more ram will undoubtedly do this much faster. For comparison, ripping the same DVD using HB alone would take me about 40-45 mins. Oh, I haven't used Toast so don't have an opinion on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.