Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
I'm eagerly awaiting new Apple displays before I buy a new 2009 octad 2.66 Mac Pro...

What are other new buyers doing? Going with the old Apple 30? The glossy 24?

Why no choices, Apple? :confused:

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have a 23" ACD that I'm happy with so I'll stick with that. If I were to replace it, I would probably move to an Eizo.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I'm trying to find another ACD23 :mad: Even if I had mini displayport I'd never, ever ever buy the 24", and the 30" is nice, but not really the right tool for my usage.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I'm trying to find another ACD23 :mad: Even if I had mini displayport I'd never, ever ever buy the 24", and the 30" is nice, but not really the right tool for my usage.

Not buying the 24" LED ACD your missing out HUGE. I've owned the 23" ACD 2 times before, it doesnt compare to the vividness of the H-IPS panel + instant full brightness of the LED backlighting. :D

BConvery

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2009
I have a aluminum 23" ACD....but I can't decide if I want to keep it or get the new 24" LED with my new Mac Pro...

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I have a aluminum 23" ACD....but I can't decide if I want to keep it or get the new 24" LED with my new Mac Pro...

Get the new 24" LED ACD, its THAT much better. Trust me, I've owned the 23" ACD 2 times, 20" ACD 2 times and the 30" ACD once.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Not buying the 24" LED ACD your missing out HUGE. I've owned the 23" ACD 2 times before, it doesnt compare to the vividness of the H-IPS panel + instant full brightness of the LED backlighting. :D

I loathe glossy displays. Hate hate hate hate hate.

Not to mention the speakers would be useless, as would the iSight, and it doesn't have a FireWire hub.

I would probably get one even without the FireWire hub, but no, their "form over function" idiots decided to make it shiny.

I'm not pretty, I don't need a mirror at my computer.

Fomaphone

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
i won't buy one of the new monitors unless a huge advantage emerges for video work. that being said, i'm a little pissed that i not only had to get a mini displayport adapter for my second monitor, but that i also had to get an adapter for the firewire 400 coming from my current ACD.

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
I had a 20inch ACD which was great. I needed multiple input and the ability to switch through them so I bought a 25.5 inch samsung to replace it. Loved the ACD so so much more, but I don't have a choice.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
My 23 ACD has the pink cast. Bl**dy awful for a display which I paid £1500 for at the time. The 24 LED is glossy. Can't stand the gloss and that thick black bezel. But LED tech I like.

I have the 30 ACD also. And it's pretty good.

Now a 30 LED ACD anti-glare in the same Alu frame with FW800 & 400 ports + USBs would rock :D:D Except the initial-sucker price :p

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

Not to mention the speakers would be useless, as would the iSight, and it doesn't have a FireWire hub.

I would probably get one even without the FireWire hub, but no, their "form over function" idiots decided to make it shiny.

I agree with you on the glossy display. They are useless except for vanity pieces. An ISight would be nice, but I'd be just as happy if Apple resumed making the external one. Built-in speakers are worthless, but a FW800 hub would come in handy.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I agree with you on the glossy display. They are useless except for vanity pieces. An ISight would be nice, but I'd be just as happy if Apple resumed making the external one. Built-in speakers are worthless, but a FW800 hub would come in handy.

Quite.

I bought a Logitech Vision Pro, it's pretty impressive, and there's no way I'd go back to an iSight at this point.

Jouhne

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
no on/off button... sad panda here. i'm waiting for the rev2 with longer cable and this time made for a desktop.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

Actually I use the speakers on the 24" ACD. I mean its no B&W speakers or logitech but its more than good enough for just some sound to be played loud enough to watch a little movie clips or what not.

I used to HATE Glossy displays but on the 24" LED ACD its so bright that it doesnt seem like a glossy most of the time. Instant brightness is a thing of genius! Also it has the clarity that the 23" and 30" mbp with the old school ccfl backlighting is missing.

Plus it doesnt dim 50% of its original brightness per year. I remember just 4 months of using the 23" ACD that once you fire it up for the first time of the day it takes like 5-10 minutes until it becomes to full brightness and in that time it looks blurry and fuzzy as hell. Not to mention the near perfect even in brightness on the 24".

3314326601_a13ff534d1_b.jpg
Pictures does no justice~

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Actually I use the speakers on the 24" ACD. I mean its no B&W speakers or logitech but its more than good enough for just some sound to be played loud enough to watch a little movie clips or what not.

I used to HATE Glossy displays but on the 24" LED ACD its so bright that it doesnt seem like a glossy most of the time. Instant brightness is a thing of genius! Also it has the clarity that the 23" and 30" mbp with the old school ccfl backlighting is missing.

Plus it doesnt dim 50% of its original brightness per year. I remember just 4 months of using the 23" ACD that once you fire it up for the first time of the day it takes like 5-10 minutes until it becomes to full brightness and in that time it looks blurry and fuzzy as hell. Not to mention the near perfect even in brightness on the 24".

Can you post your wallpaper I want it. Do you have it in 2560x1600

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.

Plus it doesnt dim 50% of its original brightness per year. I remember just 4 months of using the 23" ACD that once you fire it up for the first time of the day it takes like 5-10 minutes until it becomes to full brightness and in that time it looks blurry and fuzzy as hell.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are things about the ACD24 that I love. The image quality is superb, the backlight is great. But the glossiness kills me, especially because of the way my work area is laid out.

As for the audio… I already use a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and subwoofer with a good receiver that I adore, so there's no chance of me going back to a pair of built-ins.

Like I said… I'll give up the FireWire hub. I'll accept paying for the iSight and speakers that I'd never ever use. I just can't bring myself to buy the glossy.

Plus I'd have to buy a ripoff price video card to drive it, and I wouldn't even be able to use that card for Flight Simulator X :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.