Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I'm assuming that MMS isn't working here on my iPhone 3G with 3.0 beta because I don't have MMS on my plan.

Has anyone gotten it to actually work? If so, what did you tell AT&T?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
He didn't leak any info about anything on 3.0/The next iPhone.

I'm sure he payed the 99$ to get the 3.0 officially.
There's nothing related to the NDA.

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
I can't get MMS working either so far. I'm assuming it has something to do with my plan as well. I would imagine that if you called AT&T that the customer support wouldn't have a clue what we were talking about, as usual... :rolleyes:

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
looked at the screenshots on engadget....in settings there's an option to turn MMS on and off....did you guys turn it on?

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Yep, it's on. It just won't send. It errors out and puts a red exclamation point next to the picture. If you click on that symbol, you get a generic error message asking you if you would like to retry sending the message.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
When the 2.0 beta came out a year ago the App Store icon was there but was not functional. In a later 2.0 beta they removed the App Store icon entirely due to the fact that it confused people. Then when 2.0 officially launched the App Store icon was added again.

Maybe the MMS just is not functional yet...

I hope this helps,
John

P.S. To anyone who has the 3.0 firmware for the iPhone 3G (especially those people whose question I just answered):

I have a question for you. Money is a little tight right now and I cannot justify joining the developer program at a hundred dollars. Several of the people in my department have been laid off and I could very well be next.

I am dying to get my hands on this new firmware. Would you mind helping out a fellow MacRumors member by sending me the new firmware? More importantly will you PLEASE add my UUID to your portal so authentication can work?

If you are willing to help please email me at: AppleNiMac@yahoo.com

I appreciate your consideration either way...

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
MMS does not work

It doesn't work for me either, I submitted a bug report, really sucks devforums are offline and we have to violate the nda just to find out what's going on.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm downloading the beta firmware now so I can't voice anything out yet.
I wonder if it does have to do with the plan people are on with AT&T? Do anyone of you have unlimited texting? (I do)

compg318

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
When the 2.0 beta came out a year ago the App Store icon was there but was not functional. In a later 2.0 beta they removed the App Store icon entirely due to the fact that it confused people. Then when 2.0 officially launched the App Store icon was added again.

Maybe the MMS just is not functional yet...

I hope this helps,
John

P.S. To anyone who has the 3.0 firmware for the iPhone 3G (especially those people whose question I just answered):

I have a question for you. Money is a little tight right now and I cannot justify joining the developer program at a hundred dollars. Several of the people in my department have been laid off and I could very well be next.

I am dying to get my hands on this new firmware. Would you mind helping out a fellow MacRumors member by sending me the new firmware? More importantly will you PLEASE add my UUID to your portal so authentication can work?

If you are willing to help please email me at: AppleNiMac@yahoo.com

I appreciate your consideration either way...
This may be the case, but I am assuming it is something on AT&T's end. The same reason swirlyMMS would not work for most of us on AT&T unless we had the iPhone data plan removed. AT&T most likely still has the block.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
I cant recieve the mms sms-notification either, the one that gives you the login and pass for your message... yea that stopped working too... I cant recieve old way or new way or send

zildjianfan

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
North Carolina
Anyone with 3.0; how stable is it? Is it safe to use with my primary phone (don't want to run into big problems with my only phone and be stuck without one)? I have a developer membership now and I am debating paying the $99 for the developer program now and getting 3.0. I am a computer science major so I am learning the ropes in iPhone development.

In other words...is it worth the $99 (I will be making apps slowly so it will be used for more than just trying 3.0)?

Thanks!

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Anyone with 3.0; how stable is it? Is it safe to use with my primary phone (don't want to run into big problems with my only phone and be stuck without one)? I have a developer membership now and I am debating paying the $99 for the developer program now and getting 3.0. I am a computer science major so I am learning the ropes in iPhone development.

In other words...is it worth the $99 (I will be making apps slowly so it will be used for more than just trying 3.0)?

Thanks!

You shouldn't sign up for the dev program if you aren't a developer. It is not worth $99 just to use beta software.

It is fairly stable, though. Some things are kind of slow.

zildjianfan

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
North Carolina
You shouldn't sign up for the dev program if you aren't a developer. It is not worth $99 just to use beta software.

It is fairly stable, though. Some things are kind of slow.

I am planning on joining eventually either way. I am a computer science major (getting my undergrad now) and have started learning iPhone dev. I am already pretty decent with Java and am learning C and Obj-C. I was just debating if joining early would be worth it for the 3.0 update :D I would probably be joining late summer anyway. For now I am just afraid I may not be happy with a buggy phone.

yorkepb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
MMS not working... AT&T likely to blame

MMS is not working for me. I currently have the Unlimited Family Text plan for both myself and my wife (she doesn't have an iPhone) The plan specifically states that it includes unlimited MMS messages, I think it would be a real slap in the face if AT&T suddenly decided to start charging more if one or more of those phones is an iPhone considering I have had that plan almost a year now and theoretically have been paying for MMS messages for my iphone this whole time.

None the less I contacted AT&T to no avail, they put me through to their tech support department who promptly read to me from some manual "from apple" stating that the iphone 3g hardware does not support MMS and that I'd have to "upgrade" my phone to better phone if I wanted MMS.

I explained to him that the hardware does support it and that MMS is a feature of the up and coming firmware 3.0 (Not an NDA issue as apple has already disclosed that to the public) which is currently in beta. I then asked him if AT&T had plans of turning on that feature for beta users or even once the iphone began supporting it.

(Back when I had swirlyMMS AT&T began blocking us from using that, so it seems to me that they are specifically blocking iPhone users from using a feature we are paying for.)

He replied by indicating that since Apple's hardware wasnt capable of doing MMS it was likely that AT&T would never allow it. He then placed me on hold and promptly transfered me to someone at Apple who informed me that he had never heard of something called firmware 3.0, and that I must be mistaken about it. He stated that he had heard of Software 3.0 but that wouldnt be available (at all) until this summer. HE then suggested that if I want to use MMS on my iphone, I should follow the link that gets SMSed to me.

Anyway, I don't think we will see any cooperation from AT&T on this, they aren't going to spend money to improve products until they absolutely have to.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Meaning you don't talk about it unless it's on one of the Apple developer forums.

Some of you here would make great "journalists."

:rolleyes: Apple released almost all there is no know about 3.0. This isn't some hush hush taboo, MR posts front page stuff with screenshots and "leaked" info like tethering and you don't complain. I posted a thread about AT&T rate plans and you people get all up in arms about the freaking NDA. Get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.