Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Boulder CO
Question to the mac gods...

Recently purchased a new desktop so i wouldn't mind tinkering with my OLD iMac G4 1.25G Is this processor just a over clocked 1g G4? I would like to add more ram and over clock it to 1.5g or higher if possible. Is there anyone who would know how todo this? I assume i would need to change jumper setting within the computer right? What would the setting be?

I mainly use this for music and simple everyday tasks and its soooooo slow compared to my MBP and MP. Any input would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance...

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Overclocking Macs is nearly impossible. It involves making modifications to the logic board itself, not jumpers, except for the G3 B&W. If you want to dabble with overclocking, build yourself a PC or get a B&W. On the B&W, it is just jumpers.

I know that, on the PPC mini, you've got to solder some stuff (resistors I think) to the logic board, and it is impossible on the Intel versions.

BTW, it is not an overclocked 1 GHz. Dell does that crap. In fact, one of their PCs now has a Core i7 overclocked to 3.4 GHz or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.