Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

povsicf

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Hi I have a Powerbook G4 1.67 PPC G4 2 GB of Ram, I am looking into installing Virtual PC for Mac. My problem is that I can't find it anywhere unless its an update, and they won't allow me to install the update unless I have the original. Also I hear that it runs very slow, what would be the newest windows OS I could install. I need this to sync and update the OS on my blackberry. Is this possible. Could anyone direct me in the right way? Please provide me a link or let me know where I can get this installed. Thanks in advance for all your help.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi I have a Powerbook G4 1.67 PPC G4 2 GB of Ram, I am looking into installing Virtual PC for Mac. My problem is that I can't find it anywhere unless its an update, and they won't allow me to install the update unless I have the original. Also I hear that it runs very slow, what would be the newest windows OS I could install. I need this to sync and update the OS on my blackberry. Is this possible. Could anyone direct me in the right way? Please provide me a link or let me know where I can get this installed. Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have an old copy of something like that for the pre Intel PPC mac g4s but you really need to get an intel mac to run windows, as far as I know.

And I don't know much I think I have used Windoze about six times since 1990.

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
No idea where you would get the software...legally at least. I have the same machine as you, and I use Virtual PC to run XP, and it runs decently enough to be usable...just for syncing with your Blackberry, it should be fine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Virtual PC was brutally slow and inefficient even with Windows 95.

Considering the cost of virtual PC, a copy of a Microsoft OS and your time and patience.... you may be better off purchasing a cheap 2nd hand pc.

Even a very aging P3 800mhz would run better than any OS on your Virtual PC.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I agree with MacRumorUser. Have a friend that has a PC hook you up. Trust me, it'll save you lots of trouble. Plus, you won't have to spend money on software, and waste time installing Windows on VPC. Installing Windows on VPC is DOG SLOW.:p

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
emulating intel code on a PPC is a royal pain. It can be done, but horribly slow and more trouble than it's worth. Even if you get it running there's no guarantee that whatever program you want to run will even run on it.

Get a cheap windows pc and save the aggravation.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#

Depending on your needs, VPC may be fast enough. I've used VPC6 and VP7 with Windows XP. In some cases I felt that VPC6 was faster than VP7. But VPC7 was more stable and worked better overall.

BTW, I used VPC7/WinXP for a legacy calendar program that I had. It would lag a bit but was usable.

As for running something like a Microsoft Office application (Word, Excel, PPT or Access), forget it. It's not even worth trying unless you like to see API calls filled/completed as you painfully watch windows and dialog boxes drawn on the screen.

I used WinZip as well and it worked fine for those times that I needed it.

I have not idea about syncing a Blackberry software wise as to whether or not it would be usable. My guess is that you would be okay, but it will react slowly to your inputs. As long as you are comfortable with that, then it should work okay.

Now assuming that you can find VPC7 or VPC7 with WinXP, for cheap, it might be worth it. However, as some have said, you could get a cheap PC and have much better performance.

Personally, I would suggest that you go whatever route is easiest for the day when you upgrade your G4 to an Intel based Mac. If you use VPC, you can import the image into Parallels and VMware. So the transition would be easy that way.

nickweston

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
VPC not worth the time

just a quick note to second the opinion of staying away from VPC. I went through a couple of years of grief trying to run this crap because of some software my wife's business used. In retrospect I would have (gulp) bought a crap PC.
Actually, in retrospect, the business was a failure. Oh....wait a minute....so was my marriage...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yet another warning.. the sync via BB Dersktop might not even work. USB support was spotty at best and relegated to v1.x. Windows XP runs pretty badly on it.

You'd be much better off buying the cheapest PC you could find, it'd run circles around VPC.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yet another warning.. the sync via BB Dersktop might not even work. USB support was spotty at best and relegated to v1.x. Windows XP runs pretty badly on it.
Good point.

VPC7 with XP worked pretty well for me with USB thumb drives and scanner type devices.

Syncing a BB can be quite a different issue, that much is certain.

You'd be much better off buying the cheapest PC you could find, it'd run circles around VPC.
Agree if the OP doesn't mind having another computer around and doesn't mind not having the data with him on his PowerBook G4.

However, VPC7 with WinXP might be good enough for his needs. Then down the road when he upgrades to an Intel Mac (MBA, MB, MBP) he can import the VPC image into Parallels or VMware.

Of course as many have said, VPC7 is ssssslllllooooowwwww! I would not try to run anything substantial on it. That much is certain. For my old calendar program is was usable -- barely -- but usable.

Just took a look at eBay. There is a VPC7 with WinXP for $35. Not bad.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
just a quick note to second the opinion of staying away from VPC. I went through a couple of years of grief trying to run this crap because of some software my wife's business used. In retrospect I would have (gulp) bought a crap PC.
Actually, in retrospect, the business was a failure. Oh....wait a minute....so was my marriage...

Never marry a Windozer if you are a Macfiend. I converted all potential spouses very early on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.