Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170716-hd_movies_500.png

Apple today announced that they are now offering high-definition movie sales and rentals through the iTunes Store.
Starting today, movie fans can purchase box office blockbusters for download in HD for $19.99 from iTunes, and films will be available as iTunes Movie Rentals in HD for $4.99 within 30 days after release. Customers can enjoy these films in HD on their Mac or PC and on their widescreen TV with Apple TV, as well as in standard definition on their iPhone or iPod with video.

A dedicated HD Movies page has been added to the iTunes Store [iTunes] to highlight the new content. Pre-orders for the James Bond movie "Quantum of Solace" and the thriller "Twilight" are currently being featured, with additional movies already available.

Previously, Apple had only offered high-definition movie rentals through the Apple TV in January 2008 and added support for high-definition TV shows via iTunes in September 2008.

Article Link: Apple Announces Release of HD Movie Sales and Rentals via iTunes

robbrick

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I wonder if they will eventually allow people to replace their movies they bought in SD with the HD version for a small upgrade price like DRM-free music.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Good luck storing and backing them up. It's time for Apple to adopt the Amazon VOD model of letting you re-download purchased content.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Great news! It makes the Mac Mini even more attractive now. I was considering one to hook up to my TV and easily be able to use other media center apps like boxee or XMBC along with iTunes but the idea that I could not rent HD without an AppleTV didn't sit right with me. Not that I was looking at iTunes as my main media app, but I wanted the option of iTunes HD.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The iTunes store and the picture in the OP say Bond is $14.99, but the page for the movie says $19.99 :confused:

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
$20 to purchase a movie? Sounds expensive to me. I won't be buying ever, but will rent for $5.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
that's practically the price of a bluray...

... Why would you pay for a hi-def download when you could get a better quality DVD?

Theres plenty of people that simply dont want to deal with physical (optical to be precise) media anymore.

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
that's practically the price of a bluray...

... Why would you pay for a hi-def download when you could get a better quality DVD?

1. Don't own Blu-ray player
2. Don't own high def television (but do have nice computer)
3. Convenience
4. Format neutrality

That said, those aren't compelling reasons to me either.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I'm guessing it'll only work with HDCP compliant monitors/tvs/gpus, will have to wait and see on that one.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
I'm waiting for the Apple TV update when Apple switches from 720p to 1080p before I waste my money on these.

I'm not paying an HD "upgrade" price.

You haven't been owning them. Cut the smugness.

why would i even want to own them? Watch them once and im through with it...why own....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.