Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
How odd... I kinda hope that means they're getting ready to release an updated/new version if there's a hardware release in July. I would love an Apple one with noise cancel and a dock for the newest iPhone! Would sell my jawbone in a minute.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Interesting, I bugged a live rep for answers, didn't get any, lol... here is the transcript.

Op: Hi, my name is ****. Welcome to Apple!
Op: Good evening! How may I help you today?
Me: Hi, why is the apple bluetooth headset discontinued? Is something wrong with it?
Op: No, there is not anything wrong with those.
Op: We do offer other bluetooth headsets in the online store.
Me: Is apple making an updated one? I don't want to buy a different non-apple one if a new one is going to come out.
Op: I do not have any info on future product releases.
Op: Let me see what else we have available.
Op: We do not have any other Apple bluetooth headsets available, but we do have several other manufacturers headsets that will work great with the iPhone
Me: Okay, I will wait to see if a new one comes out.
Me: Thanks
Op: You're welcome.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Looks like it's discontinued in the US as well. Maybe a new one is coming?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I liked the convenience of using one cable to charge both iPhone and BT... I hope Apple releases a new one or stereo BT and continue the one cable charging setup. :)

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone have any opinions on whether I should get an Apple headset or a Jawbone?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jawbone.

The Apple headset is "OK" at best.

But the Jawbone is big and bulky. I want something that can fit into my pocket and not be annoying when I'm not using it. Right now I don't have any more room in my pockets for a big bulky headset. I have my iPhone in my left pocket, and then wallet keys etc in right.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I currently use the F1+TX+RX from iSkin Cerulean. I purchased when all 3 components were sold together and I totally love it. I also own the iPhone Bluetooth Headset but prefer the F1. I was so so so happy :D to hear the opening of the A2DP protocols. I will now be able to use the headset without the transmitter which feeds off of the iPhone battery and shortens life pretty quick.

The iPhone headset just didnt fit my ear and was just as uncomfortable as the headphones that came with it. I had to take one of the ear piece clips from the F1 and snap on to the iPhone headset and it worked a lot better.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
But the Jawbone is big and bulky. I want something that can fit into my pocket and not be annoying when I'm not using it. Right now I don't have any more room in my pockets for a big bulky headset. I have my iPhone in my left pocket, and then wallet keys etc in right.

Also, the Apple headset automagically syncs with the iPhone and supposedly has better battery life.

TOO MANY AWESOME PRODUCTS TO CHOOSE!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
This probably has to do with A2DP in 3.0. Wireless headphones, oh yeah.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Anyone have any opinions on whether I should get an Apple headset or a Jawbone?

I've had both, well, have the Jawbone right now but bought the Apple headset when that came out. The Apple one rocked with the dock and the style and how small it was. I liked being able to see the battery life of it via the iPhone screen too. However, if you have a 3G there isn't a dock that fits them so you have to use a USB cable that connects both; it looks bad and is easy to knock off the desk and stuff.

The Jawbone is a little larger and still would require two cables but it does come with noise canceling which actually works really well in just about all conditions except for wind noise. So if you're driving with the windows down or something it still sucks, in fact might be worse because it has a loud thumping sound like empty boxes being thrown around. You can always turn off noise cancel though. Battery life also isn't as good as the Apple one but it does seem louder.

It's a trade off either way... if Apple releases a second gen with a dock and maybe noise cancel feature or at least a louder headset then the Apple would win hands down.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I thinking my AT&T store might have both headsets for sale (they usually do) plus my 20 percent corporate discount should bring them to about the same price. If price is doesn't matter, I honestly don't know what to get.

Should I buy one, see if I like it, and then return it and try the other?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Allan...also take a look at Jabra. They have a stereo headphone set that seperates and just becomes a headset for the iPhone. I do not have the model number handy and I had to buy the transmitter also while waiting for apple to wake up. Its a little larger then I like but it is nice to put the headset on for the phone then if you want tunes plug in the other side and in this case add the transmitter. I think the other one I posted about sounds better but it does not seperate into two pieces.

If you can't find it...let me know and I will give you the rest of the info.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Allan...also take a look at Jabra. They have a stereo headphone set that seperates and just becomes a headset for the iPhone. I do not have the model number handy and I had to buy the transmitter also while waiting for apple to wake up. Its a little larger then I like but it is nice to put the headset on for the phone then if you want tunes plug in the other side and in this case add the transmitter. I think the other one I posted about sounds better but it does not seperate into two pieces.

If you can't find it...let me know and I will give you the rest of the info.

My only requirement be that it's small. The Apple headset is the size I like, the Jawbone is pushing it.

I can't find which you're talking about. http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/NA-US/Pages/Mobile.aspx

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
My only requirement be that it's small. The Apple headset is the size I like, the Jawbone is pushing it.

I can't find which you're talking about. http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/NA-US/Pages/Mobile.aspx

Looks like it may have been discontinued but it is the BT8010 and the link shows what it looks like. It is definitely out of your size range but I like the versatility of it and hope to god it connects when 3.0 is released....PLEASE MAKE IT SOON APPLE, don't wait until August for this release.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Looks like it may have been discontinued but it is the BT8010 and the link shows what it looks like. It is definitely out of your size range but I like the versatility of it and hope to god it connects when 3.0 is released....PLEASE MAKE IT SOON APPLE, don't wait until August for this release.

Now the question is should I wait until August for a possible new headset?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Maybe they'll come out with a stereo set with a mic
to take advantage of the new stereo bluetooth spec.

Thats what we have been talking about. I have listed two Cerulean and Jabra that are usable with both headset and headphone use. Look at my previous posts in this thread for the links.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Now the question is should I wait until August for a possible new headset?

Thats a hard decision because I can't validate the headphone part will connect when the update comes out. I can verify that the headset parts work very well when talking on the phone. The transmitter for both that I listed some times will drop the signal for a micro second. If I was a beta I might be able to test both. They are not cheap either so don't know how to answer that question.

iPhoneJB

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
I ordered one, and guess what?

I ordered an "Discontinued" Apple Bluetooth Headset tonight. In the order confirmation e-mail the ship date is as following:

Order Details
Product Name Product Number Unit Price Qty Subtotal

APPLE IPHONE BLUETOOTH HEADSET-USA MB536LL/A $99.00 1 $99.00
Ships: Apr 30
Delivers: May 6

Subtotal $99.00
Sales Tax
$6.69
Total Price
$105.69

Hopefully, this is a sign of a new Apple Bluetooth headset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.