Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
OracleRedux
macrumors member

Erase free space error in Disk Utility

I wish to erase free space on my default boot drive "Macintosh HD" using the function provided by Disk Utility.

As I understand it, this process creates a file the same size as the free space on the partition and then proceeds to write to it as many times as specified (1/ 7/ 35). Since this slows down the OS when it is conducted whilst the boot partition is in use I decided to copy the partition to another HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner and then boot from that temporarily.

However, since the back-up HDD is slightly smaller (500GB as opposed to 640GB) I was forced to use the non-block level clone option in order to exclude a couple of large folders.

The other partition boots without any significant errors (just Little Snitch) but when I attempt to run the Disk Utility free space erase program, it throws up an unspecific error.

This is in contrast to what happens when I run the same program from the boot drive and erase free space on the back-up partition, which runs without a hitch.

Any ideas?

Last edited by OracleRedux; Mar 19, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
OracleRedux is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X