Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I am soon to be a an owner of a new iMac 2.93 GHZ with a 1 TB Hard Drive (Arrives on March 25th!). Now that I have decided on my first Mac, I am looking to get some kind of a hard drive backup to use with it likely using Time Machine.

I have read up some on the 1 TB WD MyBook Studio and MyBook Studio II with varying feedback on both. I have a 250GB IDE External Hard Drive I can use for the time being from my PC if reformatted for the Mac (USB 2.0 & Firewire).

My question is what size drive should I buy as a backup? I have about 160GB of data (mostly music, photos and home videos) to transfer to the iMac right now from my PC. I am planning on getting a HD Camcorder soon which is the main reason to buy the iMac for me.

What do you all think of the MyBook line? Are they decent? I will primarily be using the drive for Time Machine backups so not as a second drive so much being I have 1 TB on the iMac. Also, since USB slots are a premium and the iMac has dropped Firewire 400, Firewire 800 external drives seemed to be the best bet. Granted I can buy a powered USB Hub...

Any recommendations are welcome and Thanks!

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
What do you all think of the MyBook line? Are they decent? I will primarily be using the drive for Time Machine backups so not as a second drive so much being I have 1 TB on the iMac. Also, since USB slots are a premium and the iMac has dropped Firewire 400, Firewire 800 external drives seemed to be the best bet. Granted I can buy a powered USB Hub...

Any recommendations are welcome and Thanks!

I have a Mybook 500GB and it works fine with FW400. It is terrible with eSATA.
You can get a FW800 to FW400 adapter if you are ok with that speed downgrade. I have found that external FW800 come at a premium.

For sustained data transfers, FW does a better job than USB, IMO. I think there are benchmarks that actually should this. On both systems the 480 and 400 are theoretical limits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.