Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
icemantx
macrumors regular

New iMac with 1 TB Hard Drive - External Backup Hard Drive Recommendation?

I am soon to be a an owner of a new iMac 2.93 GHZ with a 1 TB Hard Drive (Arrives on March 25th!). Now that I have decided on my first Mac, I am looking to get some kind of a hard drive backup to use with it likely using Time Machine.

I have read up some on the 1 TB WD MyBook Studio and MyBook Studio II with varying feedback on both. I have a 250GB IDE External Hard Drive I can use for the time being from my PC if reformatted for the Mac (USB 2.0 & Firewire).

My question is what size drive should I buy as a backup? I have about 160GB of data (mostly music, photos and home videos) to transfer to the iMac right now from my PC. I am planning on getting a HD Camcorder soon which is the main reason to buy the iMac for me.

What do you all think of the MyBook line? Are they decent? I will primarily be using the drive for Time Machine backups so not as a second drive so much being I have 1 TB on the iMac. Also, since USB slots are a premium and the iMac has dropped Firewire 400, Firewire 800 external drives seemed to be the best bet. Granted I can buy a powered USB Hub...

Any recommendations are welcome and Thanks!
icemantx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
mcavjame
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemantx View Post

What do you all think of the MyBook line? Are they decent? I will primarily be using the drive for Time Machine backups so not as a second drive so much being I have 1 TB on the iMac. Also, since USB slots are a premium and the iMac has dropped Firewire 400, Firewire 800 external drives seemed to be the best bet. Granted I can buy a powered USB Hub...

Any recommendations are welcome and Thanks!
I have a Mybook 500GB and it works fine with FW400. It is terrible with eSATA.
You can get a FW800 to FW400 adapter if you are ok with that speed downgrade. I have found that external FW800 come at a premium.

For sustained data transfers, FW does a better job than USB, IMO. I think there are benchmarks that actually should this. On both systems the 480 and 400 are theoretical limits.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals