Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon Alley Insider reports on rumors from a mobile industry source saying that the next-generation iPhone will have "a significantly faster Internet connection." While no further information is given as to whether this is referring to cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity, Silicon Alley Insider lays out some possibilities based on what is known about the state of the technology.
- This can't be referring to AT&T's 4G (LTE) network, because that won't be ready for a year or more.
- This might be referring to faster wifi, and not faster 3G access? (802.11n vs. its current 802.11g/b.)
- AT&T has repeatedly vowed to speed up its 3G network via updates to the network. Is it possible that the current iPhone can't support those increased speeds?
- We don't expect Apple to comment, but we've asked.
Electronista provides more detail on AT&T's plans for faster 3G running at 7.2 Mbps, up from the 3.6 Mbps speed of the current network.
However, the most likely change is the addition of support for speed-doubled 7.2Mbps 3G given both hardware manufacturer and carrier plans. Infineon should have a new 3G chipset starting from mid-year that would support the faster speeds while also improving battery life. At the same time, AT&T has been trialing 7.2Mbps 3G since late 2008 and should roll out the speedier service this year. The provider has stressed that many of its cell towers can be upgraded solely through software rather than new equipment.

Current iPhones are limited in hardware to 3.6Mbps 3G and couldn't themselves be upgraded.
Electronista also points to the possibility of a new Broadcom 802.11n chipset being used in the next-generation iPhone to bring increased Wi-Fi speeds.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone to Have "Faster Internet Speeds"?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Well, if the new 3G and Broadcom chipsets make it in, along with the OLED screen from that (rather unlikely) rumor, we'd be looking at better battery life already.

I'm betting it's quite likely we'd see both draft-N and doublespeed 3G in the next hardware revision of the iPhone.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Double what?

Well, I'll probably upgrade because I am one of those gadget types that likes to have the latest and greatest. It'll be interesting to see how much of a speed increase the average Joe will get from this updated hardware. 3G may be limited to 3+Mbps but I have never seen my speeds that high. It is a rarity for me to see over 1Mbps and my speed is usually around 500-600kbps.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I hope there wil be a faster 3G or its replacement with the new iphone. I have messed around a couple of storms and Verizons 3G just seems faster.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Now maybe we can watch live tv or stream on apps without wifi???? Browsing speed is fast enough for me now though!

I'd like to see You Tube clips at the WiFi resolution. They went way too far in degrading the quality when over the cell network.

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
7.2mbps*

*Exclusive to San Francisco

Not where I live or work on 1st and Howard. I can generally only get Edge and I know many people who have the same experience. I also think there are so many iPhones owners in what is a small city (7 miles sq) it is killing the network.

I would like up wi-fi upgrade from g to n. I have the previous version of the Apple Extreme so would like to turn it to N 5GHz only.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
That's going to be faster than the average home broadband connection ... more expensive though. Probably worse contention than your typical DSL, but far more intermittent use that might make evening usage performance better than home usage performance.

And 802.11n seems very likely in this iteration.

Also it might not be necessarily referring to the US, but other 3G networks around the world which may be faster still.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Thoughts/opinions on whether original iPhone users who upgraded to 3G will be allowed to upgrade (again) to the newer iPhone in June?
And by "allowed" I mean for the price of the new phone + restarting your 2-year contract.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
sounds like new iPhone will be capable of HSDPA.

For those in US, this is something networks in Europe have rolled out over the last 12-18months. A number of devices over here are already capable of using this.

Be good seeing this in next iPhone for sure :cool:

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
But "N" wifi isn't any faster for the internet than "G".
Isn't the internet slower than "G"?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
ATT will get much faster... both phones will get faster.. the iPhone 3G will go to 3.6Mbps and the next iPhone will go faster. 3.6Mbps is several times faster than now.. that would be GREAT! 802.11n is not only faster (file transfers in home network)... it supports much longer distances... longer distances are needed so you can connect from the street... higher speeds from Wifi is not needed for internet as the internet connection is slower than 802.11b/g or n anyway. The recent Apple Extreme Base Stations will run on 802.11g if the current iPhones are also connected and n will not be used for you Macs. If you're not using wifi on your phone at the moment at home, turn that off so your AEBS can revert to n for your Macs.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Wireless N doesn't do downloads any faster than Wireless G. It's the device-to-device traffic that's faster. The only thing Wireless N would do is make it so the iPhone could work on N-only networks, which would be a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.