Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SillyKary

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
US of A
I'd like to convert some of the Red Couch interviews from here:
http://www.level3.com/redcouch/
to a format that's accepted by Youtube with as little quality loss as possible. The videos are posted as MMS streams (Microsoft Media Server, i.e. the URL starts with mms://...)

Tried so far:
Clicking on a video link opens it in a new browser window and plays it with Quicktime - probably through the Flip4Mac Windows Media component that I have. After the vid finished loading, on the bottom-right corner, I can select "Save as source", but that will save a WMV file that doesn't contain any media. It's only a text file with the video URL. "Save as QT movie" will save the actual video in .mov format.

The .mov contains (from QT info panel):
Video - WMV Image Codec
Audio - Windows Media Audio 9 Standard, Stereo

When I upload that .mov to Youtube, I get an error "Conversion failed". I guess Youtube can't handle WMV encoded video in a MOV container. But simply changing the extension from .mov to .wmv didn't fool Youtube either, still failed.

I cannot export the video into another format that Youtube would recognize from within Quicktime, all Export and Save options in the File menu are grayed out.

I tried converting the .mov using ffmpegX, but failed. Either I get errors before conversion even starts or the vid comes through without audio.

I also tried pasting the MMS link directly into VLC (File -> Streaming/Exporting Wizard) but got only audio, no video.

Any other solution? I think the best way would be something that saves the MMS stream directly as a "proper" .wmv or an .avi file rather than .mov since it's already WMV encoded anyway. That might then also be accepted by Youtube. Alternatively, how can I convert the .movs I have into something that YT swallows, ideally without much lossy re-encoding?

SillyKary

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
US of A
I found a solution, but it involved a PC :-(
I used this software called SUPER as recommended on the YouTube help page linked above from here:
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It allows to save MMS streams directly without re-encoding and even lets you cut the recording at a certain time so you can meet YT's silly 10min limit (see attachment). The result is an WMV file that got accepted by YT without a hitch.

Now, the bigger question: Do I really need to pester a friend with a PC to do this? Does nobody know a software for the Mac?

Attachments

• SUPER.png
    SUPER.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 161

Rocken Robbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Hi,
the simplest thing to do would be to go dowload VLC
next open up you file in vlc and click file then export wizard (might be just wizard or convert / save) then just click thrugh the options
hope that helps.

Rocken Robbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Sorry i scan tend to scan not read was thinking about it and you could try just changing the file extension to .mwv and try upload or get mpeg streamclip to do it. also super is just a fount end for FFmpeg and a few other liberty's there's a mac frount end avalable but i will have to look up the name of it.

SillyKary

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
US of A
... you could try just changing the file extension to .mwv and try upload ...

But simply changing the extension from .mov to .wmv didn't fool Youtube either, still failed.

I guess scanning doesn't really save that much time, if you end up posting followups... ;-)

But the other tip with MPEG Streamclip worked. Could save the MMS stream with it, and got a fully working WMV file. Nice little tool, thanks!

Now if only it'd let me trim videos to 10min and still save without re-encoding the original WMV...

But at least I can get by without a PC now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.