Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacMinute revives PC iPod rumors by reporting on a PC iPod by July:

Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf reports that Apple will introduce a Windows version of the iPod possibly as early as Macworld Expo New York on July 17

First rumors of this PC iPod stem from back in Feb. 2002 when a PC version of the iPod was rumored to have been co-developed with the 10gig version (the 10gig, which was subsequently released).

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hmmm, i'm still not sure how i feel abot this.

big pro: make some cash off all the people who want the ipod but have a pc.

big con: possibly stop people from buying a mac if they say "hey, i can use the pod with my pc, i don't need a mac".

i guess, as it's been said, the key is what software will it be used with... a pc itunes or just something else?

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I really don't think that they would release a separate iPod for the PC. If anything, I would say they would just write some Window compatible software for the iPod that is currently out. Releasing a whole separate iPod for a different platform just doesn't sound reasonable.

Draft

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Draft
I really don't think that they would release a separate iPod for the PC. If anything, I would say they would just write some Window compatible software for the iPod that is currently out. Releasing a whole separate iPod for a different platform just doesn't sound reasonable.

It would probably just be the current ipod bundled with Windows software.

arn

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
hmmm, i'm still not sure how i feel abot this.

big pro: make some cash off all the people who want the ipod but have a pc.

big con: possibly stop people from buying a mac if they say "hey, i can use the pod with my pc, i don't need a mac".

i guess, as it's been said, the key is what software will it be used with... a pc itunes or just something else?

I think it'd be a good thing...... there's already software on the net that allows PC people to use them......

Would it affect people buying a mac...... well I know that I wouldn't buy a PC just for a MP3 player....... :p

No one is just going to buy a mac to handle their MP3 collection....... :p

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Apple won't develop it's own iPod PC software

If it is true, it would be a real pain in the a$$ for Mediafour; they have been developing XPlay for months now; it finally reached Beta 3 Stadium -- they're about to release it. Think about all the money and effort that went to development... all for nothing.

You can say now: "Too bad, that's their problem" but I don't think Apple will say so - Mediafour and Apple have a rather good relationship, and neither of them wants to ruin that. In fact, XPlay was at first called XPod, but at the request of Apple they changed the name. They thought it was a pity they had to change it, and they claimed legally it was okay for them to use XPod, but they changed it anyway, to maintain the good relationship.

So I'm quite convinced Apple won't release their own PC software...

unless... XPlay will be the official Apple supported PC software!
This makes sense. XPlay is about to be released, and Apple could push it forward as the official software for the PC iPod (and bundle it with the iPod).

k.

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
I think it would be very beneficial for apple to "officially" have ipod available for the pc. for starters, it would help spread firewire to the wintel world faster. every wintel person knows and is excited about usb 2. when i tell them firewire has been out for years doing the same thing, they're like "what's firewire?"

As for releasing an itunes for windows, i also think that would be great. yes, it would probably suck some for mediafour. but think of it in terms of getting apple into peoples heads. everyone sees an apple and it's running MICROSOFT internet explorer and MICROSOFT office. how about when people start up windows they see APPLE itunes instead of WINDOWS mediaplayer. and don't forget APPLE quicktime player. the more people think of them as an all around fully compatable (with windows) big time player in the computer world, the more likely they would switch. "hey i already watch video and listen to music with their stuff...." and music is a huge thing now on computers.

A@ron

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Iowa
Windows iPod

well they could always make the Wintel (won't use PC because it means Personal Computer) black and have the mac version remain white. It would correspond to the dark side and all. Not to mention apple might benefit by bumping up the price and including a Firewire card that had the power running through it. Most Wintel machines don't have a firewire card and if they do chances are that they dont run the 24 or some odd volts through the cable too. Just another way for Apple to get more money out of the wintel weenies.

A@ron

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
iTunes for Windows

QuickTime for Windows sux compared to the Apple version. iTunes for Windows would suk too. Let Apple develop great integrated software for the Mac OS, but let the PC iPod synchronize with the (also sucky, I admit) Windows Media Player...

k.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
The real way to look at this is it makes money. period. They need to reach out to the other platforms out there. The iPod will not work with Windoze the way it does with a Mac. People will use it, and say, man, I love my iPod but I hate my PC. You don't hear Mac users saying that. Thus, I think it will bring over even more users. Especially if they get one a CompUSA or someplace like that.

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
it wouldn't have to suck....

quciktime player sucks because all they need is somewthing that will play quicktime on windows.

mp3s already play on windows. so the challenge there would be to make a great player, not just a port. if they just wanted to port, use xplay. i've used the new windows mediaplayer. and i've used winamp. i've tried a few others in windows through the years. itunes as it stands right now is the best i've used in terms of combining power, options, stability, and extreme ease of use.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
as far as making money is concern, it would be a good move for apple...
now I dont think the ipod will change only a official PC itunes will be released or some other software without all the features of itunes.

It might also be a good idea for apple to release Ipod 2 with enhanced features for mac owners - leaving the ipod version we have now available for the pc market.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I don't see why Apple don't bring out a PC version of iTunes. And after that, bring out iPhoto and the other iApps as well.

Then who knows where it might lead to. It wouldn't make lots of money straight away, but it would increase the number of people using Apple software.

Then gradually, hardware sales would go up as people realised that Apples products really are better. Apple need to show people this by giving them a taste of it on their PCs.

Or maybe Apple should just give up and just develop software for the wintel platform. Maybe they should just accept that they are never going to dramatically increase their 5% market share of hardware.

I have often wondered what would have happened if Apple had concentrated just on Software rather than hardware and software all those years ago.

I can't see OS X for intel ever being developed, but a future Mac OS might be if there was demand and this demand might start with Apple releasing a PC version of iTunes and iPod at MWNY!

Just a thought...

Robin

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by dobbin
I don't see why Apple don't bring out a PC version of iTunes

Because the iApps are all part of Steves Digital Hub. They're free, but they make the Mac far more attractive. You get a Mac, and you can do anything with it, thanks to the iApps.

Now we don't want to turn a PC into the Dream Machine for our Digital Hub, do we?

k.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Originally posted by McFreggle

Because the iApps are all part of Steves Digital Hub. They're free, but they make the Mac far more attractive. You get a Mac, and you can do anything with it, thanks to the iApps.

Now we don't want to turn a PC into the Dream Machine for our Digital Hub, do we?

k.

We might do if we sold lots of ipods and ipads and iframes and itakes and iviews and ieverythingelses.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by iGAV

No one is just going to buy a mac to handle their MP3 collection....... :p

Want to bet?

I've sold a few iMacs to people wanting to use the iPod.
One lady came in with her son and wanted the cheapest mac they could get so he could use the ipod.

They had a PC at home, and that computer would be mainly used by the son.

Another guy almost bought a new iMac part reason for the ipod and part for the digital video.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
M$ makes office for the Mac.
Apple can make iTunes for Win.

the iPod is the best portable device i own... i have palm, pocket pc, cell phone, etc. but i use my iPod every single day as a HD and use it a lot on the weekends for the mp3s. it's the perfect little device. Sell a million of them = more $$ for Apple to R&D these kind of things.

I say Apple should release iPod 2.0 @ MWNYC for OSX and Win. Just get it over with and rake in from the efforts of making such a kick ass thing. Although I don't think Apple has the experience producing a quantity that the PC world is normally used to.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Its Easy!

A windows iPod requires only two simple changes:
1. a beige case
2. software that will cause the iPod to crash in the middle of loading your music.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by synergy

Want to bet?

I've sold a few iMacs to people wanting to use the iPod.
One lady came in with her son and wanted the cheapest mac they could get so he could use the ipod.

They had a PC at home, and that computer would be mainly used by the son.

Another guy almost bought a new iMac part reason for the ipod and part for the digital video.

I stand corrected then........ surely though they must have wanted a mac for something else than just the iPod???

But if it's happening then it's obviously a good thing...... :)

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
geek question

i wonder if apple could run apple branded iTunes from the iPod itself.

You plug in the firewire drive to a pc, it is set to notice a PC, and then runs iTunes from the harddrive.

Would that work? Maybe some slick "light" version of virtual PC?

Who knows.

aaron

windwaves

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
pc iPod

I will be announced this Monday. This is not a rumor. It is in the news - just search carefully (hint: international news)

ciao

Brent

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
It would make perfect sense if Apple announced the PC iPod along with the official release of XPlay.

Jobs is way too smart to start making Mac iApps available for PCs just when the tide is starting to turn. When you buy a Mac, you get the Mac experience; there is no way in hell that he wants PC users to get the same experience Mac users get when they turn on their machines.

PC iPod - very likely (almost a given because it is obviously a superior product and can make Apple lots of $ if more people have access to it), IMO.
PC iTunes - untenable for Apple, it will never happen under current market conditions and circumstances (the Switch campaign is a case in point).

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
For sure. They would never release iTunes for Windows. It will never happen. Maybe some kind of sync utility, but that's it.

Draft

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
For those of you who are saying that Apple will not release a software application of some such for Windoze-to-iPod, you may want to take a look here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.