Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I saw that you can connect the Apple LED Monitor and the Macbook Pro and that the monitor has a power adapter for the MBP.

Can I also plugin my keyboard and mouse to the Apple LED Monitor? Basically, I want to have a dock station.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
From http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

On the back of the display, you’ll find three self-powered USB ports. You enable them — along with the built-in iSight camera, microphone, and speakers — the moment you plug the USB connector into your new Mini DisplayPort-enabled Mac, including the MacBook family as well as the new Mac Pro, Mac mini, and iMac. Connect a printer, camera, iPod, iPhone, whatever you like. And they can stay connected, even if you grab your MacBook and go.

image3_20081014.jpg

I would say yes. And I do.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks, I wish it used the mini-display port itself instead of having an extra USB cable plugged in. Frequently disconnecting/connecting to the USB cable isn't good.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I use the bluetooth Apple Keyboard & Mice.

SDC10130.jpg

Our garage floor view.

SDC10134.jpg

This is how it feels...

SDC10122.jpg

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Nice setup.
Another question, when I dock, I usually want to use one screen. So, everytime I dock, do I have to manually set the screen I want to use and the screen resolution?

wil49

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
Chester, UK
When you plug the display in initially you can adjust the resolution to your desire then everytime you dock it will be the same.

You can even move your dock onto the 24" and use it as the main screen, you can do that in -displays - arrangement.

Also if you purchase applecare it will cover the display as well.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
You get this screen when you go to [System preferences] > [Displays] > [Arrangement] =

fusion-sysprefs-display-01.jpg

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
no its running at 1920x1200. huh i see what your saying tho. well frick me i dont know what im doing then. it just worked when i plugged it in.

Well if you are running your ACD at 1920x1200, then you aren't using mirroring at all. You'll have your MacBook Pro set as the secondary display (if the Dock appears on your ACD) or as the primary display if the Dock appears on your MacBook Pro's screen.

Mirroring is where the same is on both screens - hence why they must both be running the same resolution, and because the 15" MacBook Pro can only go up to 1440x900, mirroring isn't a good idea.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Well if you are running your ACD at 1920x1200, then you aren't using mirroring at all. You'll have your MacBook Pro set as the secondary display (if the Dock appears on your ACD) or as the primary display if the Dock appears on your MacBook Pro's screen.

Mirroring is where the same is on both screens - hence why they must both be running the same resolution, and because the 15" MacBook Pro can only go up to 1440x900, mirroring isn't a good idea.

yea im using the ASD as the primary display. i dont know what i was talking about before haha:eek:

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Can I configure my mac so that whenever I dock it, it automatically goes into single monitor mode and chooses the external LED screen? As soon as I undock it, it should switch back to the laptop LED screen.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Can I configure my mac so that whenever I dock it, it automatically goes into single monitor mode and chooses the external LED screen? As soon as I undock it, it should switch back to the laptop LED screen.

Well as long as it's in clamshell mode and when you plug it in, it wakes up in clamshell mode with an external keyboard and mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.