Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
My bluetooth MM keeps disconnecting at least twice a day and it's really annoying. I have to keep plugging in my wireless usb mouse to disconnect the MM and then reconnect it through the bluetooth option. I'm really glad I have the usb wireless mouse, but what if I didn't? My g/f will take the usb wireless mouse with her sometimes, so when I'm at home and my MM loses connection, what can I do to to fix this. I obviously can't move the mouse to the bluetooth option on my top right screen and then I also tried turning it off and on again and that doesn't work either. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

-S

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Have you checked the batteries? This often happens when you batteries are low, or if even one is low.

Even if your batteries seem fine, change them and see if you have the same problem. Worth a shot.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, I did. This was happening with the batteries that were supplied w/ the MM. So I took those out and put new ones in a few days ago. It's definitely much better and has improved the BT connection, but it's still happening, like I said, at least twice a day...?????

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Do you have any other devices in your home using Bluetooth? Sometimes other wireless signals can interfere with yours.

Also how long do you usually use your computer/mighty mouse for? Once or twice a day actually isn't too too bad for a disconnection rate.

Have you checked your Settings? Sometimes they can interfere. Look under System Preferences > Mouse and Keyboard. Also check System Preferences > Bluetooth.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
It's no so much the disconnecting I'm worried about. It's annoying, yeah, but no big deal. I just want to know how to reconnect it without having to use the wireless usb mouse. Like, if this is the only mouse I have and I lose connection, what do I do to reconnect? Thanks iguardian, you're da bomb

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
haha thank you.

To reconnect, isn't there a button on the mouse to do this?
If not, I would just turn bluetooth on and off, I think that should do the trick, always worked with my bluetooth phone.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
The only other device I have is my bluetooth keyboard. I've tried turning the mouse off and on again when it loses connection, but still to no avail. Is there any other way to access the bluetooth icon in the top right screen through the keyboard? For whatever reason, when the keyboard loses connection, I can just turn it off, and turn it on again and that does the trick... why not for the mouse, I don't know...???? I'm loving my whole wireless set up I have going on, it's nice... when everything works properly. Oh well, if no solutions, I'll figure something out

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
My bluetooth MM keeps disconnecting at least twice a day and it's really annoying. I have to keep plugging in my wireless usb mouse to disconnect the MM and then reconnect it through the bluetooth option. I'm really glad I have the usb wireless mouse, but what if I didn't? My g/f will take the usb wireless mouse with her sometimes, so when I'm at home and my MM loses connection, what can I do to to fix this. I obviously can't move the mouse to the bluetooth option on my top right screen and then I also tried turning it off and on again and that doesn't work either. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

-S

What set up do you have?

mainly because i know the mac pro desktops have a wire mixed up within the bluetooth/airport cards, there is a guide here on mac rumors to help switch them if you have that computer?

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
It's an iMac, not a Mac Pro. Thanks for the reply though. I think next time I go to the :apple: store I'll mention it and see what they say/suggest. I'll see if that gets me anywhere. Hopefully....

mista2

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Misbehaving mouse

It's an iMac, not a Mac Pro. Thanks for the reply though. I think next time I go to the :apple: store I'll mention it and see what they say/suggest. I'll see if that gets me anywhere. Hopefully....

Well, I've had a mixed reception to my mighty mouse - I like the primary one button system, as I am left handed, so no more having to swap the buttons over 8) but it seems to eat through batteries.
On my desk I have an HP TC4400 tablet and a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard. I have been using this steadily for over 2 years and I think I have only change the batteries in the mouse twice.
I bought the mightymouse just over 2 months ago for my MacMini which has been my main desktop since Christmas, and I have had to replace the batteries it came with already, the roller ball for the first few weeks wouldn't scroll up (only solved this by putting some cleaning solution on a cotton bud, and vigorously rolling the nipple, and now seems fine) but now it has started disconnecting when the mini is asleep - resume from the keyboard, and mouse is nowhere. This would not be a problem if there was a way to reconnect form the keyboard but as mentioned above I have to dig out a wired rodent for the job.
BTW - I have never had random disconnects from the MS mouse/keyboard on my tablet even switching between Windows and linux (and a hacked OSX install 8))
Annoying as the MM is the most expensive mouse I've ever bought!

Jiri

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Keyboard shortcuts

I realize I am 2 years late with a reply but still ...
See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343 for list of keyboard shortcuts

When the mouse is disconnected and your only means of navigation is your keyboard, you can
1) Fn+Ctrl+F2 to get you to the Apple menu
2) Space, arrow scroll to System Preferences
3) Tab and arrow to Mouse, Space to activate Mouse Preferences
4) By now you should be in your Mouse preferences, you may need to turn your mouse on and off, wait for the light to blink (discovery mode)
5) Once your mouse is found, Continue to connect it

Other possibly useful applications are Bluetooth Explorer and Bluetooth Diagnostics Utility. The Explorer seems to be a loaded gun, use with caution. (Spotlight -> Search for Bluetooth)

Other means of getting to the System Preferences (or any other place):
1) Command+Space to Spotlight
2) Type System Preferences in Spotlight search bar
3) Arrow down to System Preferences
4) Enter or Space to select and open it

You may need to utilize Spaces buttons, namely F3 if System Preferences opens under your currently opened application

Cheers

Jiri

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.