Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for settings for SMC Fan Control for a Mac Pro. I've got an early 2008 2.8 8-core and I've been encoding movies for a while now with Handbrake and my temperatures skyrocketed. I jacked my fans up pretty high and it seems to have help, but I wonder if there is a maximum setting for the fans?

Here's what I have the fans set at right now using SMC:
CPU_MEM: 1075
IO: 1200
EXHAUST: 1000
PS: 900

I have to admit, I forgot to take a snapshot of the temps I had before I increased the preset fan settings. I think my memory modules were in the mid-70's Celsius and I wanted them more in the low-60's.

What temps do you have? And what settings? Also, what temps are too hot?

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Mine runs at similar temps and stays around 25C the entire day. No video encoding though . . .

jnsnfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
MBP '08 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2D 4GBrm 300GB internal

I downloaded SMCFC 2.2.2 and it didn't work properly so I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.1 and it worked and then upgraded to 2.2.2 and everything works fine; settings wise.

I've made 12 movies on 8.5G Double Layer DVD's which required hours of disk time creating and moving files. When I'm in the middle of the movie creation my RPM's will climb up above 6000RMP without a real problem and when its done it usually goes back down to around 2000 RPM (still quiet enough for most situations).

I have set my default setting for running on battery or charging to be a standard speed of 2000 RPM and then when running on AC to run at 4000 RPM. The fan is not loud enough to be a bother with music from my iPod or radio.

Oh and on the temperature settings I'm seeing the temp go up during the data moves to 76 C or @ 167 F. Normally I'm keeping the temp @ 60C and lower with my settings.

I was going to leave the standard AC power fan speed low but because the MBP is notorious for poor heat management at the air ports I boosted to a higher rating. Over time this may cause one of the fans to prematurely age but to be honest the fans are capable of 9000+ for short durations.

Oh and for the temp settings, when I'm running high IO I'm seeing 165+F and 76+C with the fan running at 6K RPM, the temp is running normally in the 120-F and 60-C range under the 4k RPM settings and in the 135+F range under the 2K RPM range.
Just my settings and conditions, don't know how it will affect you or your system.

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for settings for SMC Fan Control for a Mac Pro. I've got an early 2008 2.8 8-core and I've been encoding movies for a while now with Handbrake and my temperatures skyrocketed. I jacked my fans up pretty high and it seems to have help, but I wonder if there is a maximum setting for the fans?

Here's what I have the fans set at right now using SMC:
CPU_MEM: 1075
IO: 1200
EXHAUST: 1000
PS: 900

I have to admit, I forgot to take a snapshot of the temps I had before I increased the preset fan settings. I think my memory modules were in the mid-70's Celsius and I wanted them more in the low-60's.

What temps do you have? And what settings? Also, what temps are too hot?
my memory modules have hit as high as 81ºC but generally, they stay at 78ºC during Handbrake encodes (24/7 those days) these days, the Mac Pro is a little underutilized. :(

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I moved recently from the west coast to the east coast and my 2006 MacPro's temperatures have risen. I'm mostly concerned with my memory and NorthBridge temperatures as they get as hot as 145F and that's with SMCFanControl set to about 1300rpm. Here are my temps in fahrenheit (ambient is about 76F):

macprotempsmay2010

My question is which section in SMCFanControl will get the memory and NorthBridge temps down (cpu, pcie/hdd, rear, and/or power supply)? Thanks.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I downloaded SMCFC 2.2.2 and it didn't work properly so I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.1 and it worked and then upgraded to 2.2.2 and everything works fine; settings wise.

I've made 12 movies on 8.5G Double Layer DVD's which required hours of disk time creating and moving files. When I'm in the middle of the movie creation my RPM's will climb up above 6000RMP without a real problem and when its done it usually goes back down to around 2000 RPM (still quiet enough for most situations).

I have set my default setting for running on battery or charging to be a standard speed of 2000 RPM and then when running on AC to run at 4000 RPM. The fan is not loud enough to be a bother with music from my iPod or radio.

Oh and on the temperature settings I'm seeing the temp go up during the data moves to 76 C or @ 167 F. Normally I'm keeping the temp @ 60C and lower with my settings.

I was going to leave the standard AC power fan speed low but because the MBP is notorious for poor heat management at the air ports I boosted to a higher rating. Over time this may cause one of the fans to prematurely age but to be honest the fans are capable of 9000+ for short durations.

Oh and for the temp settings, when I'm running high IO I'm seeing 165+F and 76+C with the fan running at 6K RPM, the temp is running normally in the 120-F and 60-C range under the 4k RPM settings and in the 135+F range under the 2K RPM range.
Just my settings and conditions, don't know how it will affect you or your system.

His question is about a Mac Pro - not a MBP :confused:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The components are all within the safe parameters, so why bother with 3rd party solutions when the Mac Pro is easily able to monitor and act upon the increase in temperatures?

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
The components are all within the safe parameters, so why bother with 3rd party solutions when the Mac Pro is easily able to monitor and act upon the increase in temperatures?

That's what I was thinking. Surely the MP can speed up the fans when it needs it. I've never heard mine speed up yet. I'm not sure what temp would trigger it. Mine idles at around 33C

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I moved recently from the west coast to the east coast and my 2006 MacPro's temperatures have risen. I'm mostly concerned with my memory and NorthBridge temperatures as they get as hot as 145F and that's with SMCFanControl set to about 1300rpm. Here are my temps in fahrenheit (ambient is about 76F):

macprotempsmay2010

My question is which section in SMCFanControl will get the memory and NorthBridge temps down (cpu, pcie/hdd, rear, and/or power supply)? Thanks.
They're fine for a 2006 system, as FB-DIMM's and the Northbridge chips do run hotter than other systems.

So there's nothing to panic over. :D

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Yeah, you have to really stress these puppies to get those fans to spin up.
Like... maybe watching a flash video?:D

But rest assured, they will speed up if the temps get to hi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.