Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurpleCliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Australia
I'm just wondering if my 2.93 GHz iMac with the Nvidia GT 130 also has the Nvidia 9400m ... and if so when it uses it and if I can choose which one I want to use for certain things?
I'm just concerned by how hot my iMac gets very quickly ... and interested what is in it :D

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm just wondering if my 2.93 GHz iMac with the Nvidia GT 130 also has the Nvidia 9400m ... and if so when it uses it and if I can choose which one I want to use for certain things?
I'm just concerned by how hot my iMac gets very quickly ... and interested what is in it :D

Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen and select "About This Mac".

On the little box that opens, select "More Info" and click through the component list until your heart is content.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
If I do 1 hour of general internet browsing and file moving then touch it on the top left it is burning really hot. Is that what you wanted to know? :)

Not really. Of course it is hot coming out of the air vent. It is supposed to be.

Install iStat Pro and monitor your temps, fans, and CPU use.

PurpleCliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Australia
Not really. Of course it is hot coming out of the air vent. It is supposed to be.

Install iStat Pro and monitor your temps, fans, and CPU use.

Ok I've got it ... but I don't really know what I'm looking at :D

CPU Fan is currently about 1200rpm and Hard Drive is 1600rpm
HD: Macintosh is 56degrees (I don't know how to do the degrees sign on keyboard)

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
Here's my 2.93 for to compare with. I'm doing some web surfing and listening to music through itunes.

HD: 39c
CPU A: 33c
CPU A heatsink: 32c
Ambient: 20c
GPU Diode: 52c
GPU Heatsink: 43c
HD Bay 1: 37c
Mem Controller: 33c

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
Im pretty sure the iMacs dont have two graphics cards, they are not advertised as having two in the specs online. It is a desktop, there is no need for them to save energy in the same way a notebook needs too.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I doubt it does, it would be fairly redundent for their desktop unit to use an intgerted GPU to save battery power..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.