Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roslee7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
singapore
3 days ago, my macbook air suddenly became slow and whenever i want to surf net or open anything, it will stop a while and show spinning wheel.Before that its perform as normal. I decided to reinstall mac os x leopard and its still the same. I have checked using techtool and aparently my hardisk is healthy and passed the test. Now my macbook air is consider fresh after reinstalling it but still same prob. Can anyone enlighten me?

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Its been sluggish for the last 3 months for me. Browsing has become slower, and Safari ( 3 and 4 beta) both spins when opening sites.

Also have wireless connectivity issues where my Wireless connection often breaks or cannot disconnect for some time. I have Linksys WRT54G and my IBM thinkpad works fine without any connection issues at all.

Spoke to Apple Care and they are practically useless not even acknowledging the wireless connectivity issue saying each laptop behaves differently.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
install Istat (google it, get the one that's for the menu) to monitor your cpu temps and fan speeds...when you notice they start maxing out, open up activity monitor and see what is eating up your CPU....you must have something in the background running that is causing the CPU to max out...if that's not the case then you might have a defective logic board

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
check for start up items. thn check with activity monitor CPU and RAM usage, if its okay then check your hard drive with 3rd party programs to see if its failing

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Hey,

I was having similar problems after already getting my Air repaired. I however was getting kernel panics. You might want to bring your Air in, and they will send it out for repair.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What version MBA do you own? I experienced that with my original MBA all the time. My revised MBA is excellent and never experiences anything like that.

My initial thought is common original MBA problems, slow driver, overheating, and core shutdown... HOWEVER, there could be an app dragging it down. You need to figure out if you are experiencing core shutdown or overheating, OR if there is a problematic app. I have never heard of that on OS X, but Windows has task manager where you can go in and determine what is using CPU, Memory, and etc and shut down that process/app. Mac OS X has Activity Monitor. Go into apps/utilities/Activity Monitor... find out what is demanding all the CPU and memory.

Sorry I cannot help more... but Activity Monitor is a good place to start.

Best wishes.

roslee7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
singapore
hi

i have already send my mba for service and they told me they will replace the hardisk. fortunately still under warranty.10 more day to expire

newstud

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Dubai
Similar situation

I recently bought a MBA and figured I am unable to listen to iTunes and play facebook poker at the same time. It slows down my system completely. The CPU usage of iTunes was 14.4 in the Activity Monitor. Is that a lot?
Also youtube videos have to be paused so they can be buffered a 100% before I can watch them.
This is my first time using a Mac. Any recommendations on how I can speed up the performance of atleast watching youtube.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I recently bought a MBA and figured I am unable to listen to iTunes and play facebook poker at the same time. It slows down my system completely. The CPU usage of iTunes was 14.4 in the Activity Monitor. Is that a lot?
Also youtube videos have to be paused so they can be buffered a 100% before I can watch them.
This is my first time using a Mac. Any recommendations on how I can speed up the performance of at least watching youtube.

The Youtube problem sounds like an issue to do with a slow internet connection. Check it out by using a different wifi network somewhere (preferably a reliable fast one) and see if it still needs long to buffer.

Your iTunes usage does seem a bit high at 14.4, I just checked mine playing music and it never gets above 8.5 on CPU usage. However, 14.4 isn't dramatically higher I would think.

newstud

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Dubai
Thanks 01Jamcon.

Since this is my second post here, is there a link to go to your discussions directly rather than trying to remember all your posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.