Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Well what you do you all think? Is there any chance I'll be buying a 64gb iPhone this summer or just a 32gb one?

I'm a bit new to the iPhone stuff. I've been following along here, but not too savvy on the hardware stuff... yet.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
32GB. Probably won't see 64GB until next year, maybe.

Although if the iPhone comes with 32GB, expect the iPod Touch to have 64GB.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For some reason, I really doubt Apple will even come out with a 32GB one this summer...

The sizes have seemed to kind of stagnate over the past year. I kind of hope they do, though. As the video offerings slowly become a little more compelling, and the apps have the potential to eat up space of their own, the larger storage starts to sound really nice.

As I understand it, though, the iPod touch has 32GB by virtue of a two chip design that wouldn't fit easily in the iPhone, correct? So they were speculated to be waiting on the availability of a single chip 32GB solution.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Even though I really hope they do..some time you need to give apple a break :( it is just a phone and honestly don't you think 64gb is a little bit TOO much? Its funny though :) other phones barely have any good built in memory and iphone has so much....and may get even more in the future.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
64gb is a little bit TOO much?

Sadly, there are people out there that think until they can hold ALL their music (which mathematically impossible for them to listen to before a redocking / recharging session anyway) for some reason the world will end, apple sucks and the iPhone is a toy and that they will buy a (insert the name of some lame phone here) because it will have more space on it.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
As I understand it, though, the iPod touch has 32GB by virtue of a two chip design that wouldn't fit easily in the iPhone, correct? So they were speculated to be waiting on the availability of a single chip 32GB solution.

Couldn't fit in the iPhone. The iPhone has telephony chips where the iPod touch has its second NAND chip.

When the 64GB iPod touch exists, the 32GB iPhone will exist. When the 128GB iPod touch exists, the 64GB iPhone will exist, and so on and so forth.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME

I'm guessing that is actually the case for why there isn't more. I don't really know much about the insides of the iPhone, but considering all the radios in the iPhone, I don't think there's enough room for another chip.

Even though I really hope they do..some time you need to give apple a break :( it is just a phone and honestly don't you think 64gb is a little bit TOO much? Its funny though :) other phones barely have any good built in memory and iphone has so much....and may get even more in the future.

Well, the iPhone isn't just a phone. No other phones let you put your music, movies, photos, podcasts, and so on from iTunes on them. No other phones let you put so many "apps" on. The iPhone needs all that space because it isn't just a phone.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Sadly, there are people out there that think until they can hold ALL their music (which mathematically impossible for them to listen to before a redocking / recharging session anyway)

Its not that they are going to listen to it all, its that they want to be able to listen to any one song at will.

Plus movies, tv shows, app etc

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Couldn't fit in the iPhone. The iPhone has telephony chips where the iPod touch has its second NAND chip.

Well, you could rip out the telephony hardware... :eek: But, yes, this is in fact what I had euphemistically meant. ;)

I still manage to get by on 8GB but it has long since passed the point where I'd like more space on my iPhone. Even in the music domain, changes make more space valuable -- for one, more and more of the iTunes store songs are 256kbps, doubling the space they take. More to the point, Genius works all the better the more songs you have for it, from which to pick.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I would LOVE a 32G phone. I use the phone now for so much: books, music, calendar, etc... That more memory would be great

I don't think upgraded memory is farfetched. Apple is going to do something to get those who already have iPhones to upgrade...

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Sadly, there are people out there that think until they can hold ALL their music (which mathematically impossible for them to listen to before a redocking / recharging session anyway) for some reason the world will end, apple sucks and the iPhone is a toy and that they will buy a (insert the name of some lame phone here) because it will have more space on it.

Why shouldn't someone be able to carry around all their media in their pocket? I shouldn't have to carry around a 120GB iPod Classic in the same pocket as my 16GB iPhone, just so I can have my music, photos, and videos in one place. 16GB is paltry for a $300 iPod.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Probably not for the iPhone. But if Apple release a 32GB iPhone, I can almost guarantee they'll bring out a 64GB iPod Touch, because it can have twice the storage the iPhone can.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Well, the iPhone isn't just a phone. No other phones let you put your music, movies, photos, podcasts, and so on from iTunes on them. No other phones let you put so many "apps" on.

Never owned a smartphone before?

Other phones have held hundreds of photos, videos, songs and apps, for years before the iPhone came along.

(I used to keep sets of 2GB cards with movies for me or my kid and just swap them in as needed.)

Nowadays, with 8GB and 16GB (even 32GB if you pay enough) memory cards, other smartphones can upgrade cheaply and easily.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
As the chips go down, I'd definitely say it's a possibility. Shoot, when wireless gets faster we may all just be accessing our stuff via "cloud computing" servers.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Of all the phones on the market, of which this is becoming less and less true in general, isn't this statement the least true of the iPhone?

Yes but it is called the iPhone.
People get it for having internet on the go and having phone calls aside from all the goodies it has to offer. Or else you would get a ipod which does the same thing except the on the go internet and phone obviously. Asking for more space would be pointless because if your getting the phone JUST for music and apps, then that is just silly. The iPod Touch has better and faster specs anyways.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Few points.

The reason the iPhone is so successful is for FOUR reasons:
1) It's an iPod. (That's the reason why I'd like to see more storage.)
2) It's a Phone
3) "The internet in your pocket."
4) Apps

Given that two out of the four reasons why the iPhone is successful would benefit from high-storage, it would make some sense.

Besides, I never really know what I want to listen to. That's why I'd like to have some decent music storage. I also often have an hour or two that I need to kill. As such, I'd like to be able to hold some extra music+video+apps.

Now onto the news. I found these two articles. The first is from this week. The second is from August.

As four of these chips are often stacked together in a single package, the technology potentially doubles the amount of storage available on a high-end flash memory die to 64GB but should remain small thanks to SanDisk's more recent 43 nanometer manufacturing process. Toshiba only just started making 32GB packages this past fall.
Link

Extra bit from cNet:
"It is a 64-gigabit single die (chip), which is 8GB (per die), the highest capacity point in the industry," said Khandker Quader, senior vice president, memory technology & product development, SanDisk, in a phone interview Monday.

The combined storage is explicitly intended for cellphones, portable media players, video cameras, and other devices where a large amount of storage is necessary in one package. Toshiba doesn't name individual customers, but is a key supplier of Apple and through the design would enable a 32GB iPhone as well as a 64GB iPod touch. Toshiba also produces its own electronics, including Gigabeat media players, and frequently sells its memory for competitors and manufacturers of MMC and SD cards.
Link

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Clearly the answer is no. You had to know it before asking.

By all forces of natural logic, the new products will be:
iPhone, 16g
iPhone, 32g
iPod touch, 16g
iPod touch, 32g
iPod touch, 64g

16g touch and iPhone 3G discontinued by october.

I'm also predicting a new stereo Bluetooth headset, a similar in-ear design to the previous with a detachable cord that connects to a second ear piece for the other ear. It will be for calls music and games and will be called "BlueTune"

MacXL

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Quebec, Canada
if not 64mg, 32mg iPhone is to be released when?

I am about to upgrade to an iPhone! Hate to get one and next month see that Apple double the memory to 32 for the same cost!

Possible date for an updated iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.