Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
after doing a diy gpu reflow on my 800mhz ibook g3 (a success) the built in keyboard has been acting erratically or sometimes not at all

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
after doing a diy gpu reflow on my 800mhz ibook g3 (a success) the built in keyboard has been acting erratically or sometimes not at all

Did you make sure to reconnect the keyboard ribbon cable completely? If so, is one of your coins shorting out the underside of the keyboard perhaps?

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Did you make sure to reconnect the keyboard ribbon cable completely? If so, is one of your coins shorting out the underside of the keyboard perhaps?

the ribbon cable is plugged in propley - i checked several times
and the coins stopped working so i did a diy reflow using a heat gun (fixed the gpu) this is when the problem started
does a plug-in work?

haven't tried that yet will try in the morning

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You're probably shorting something out/melted something associated with the keyboard with the heat gunning. =\

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
i used 4 layers of aluminum foil to shield it wile i re flowed it

Al foil isn't exactly the best insulator...in fact is conducts very well and has a low thermal capacity. (Hence why you can grab a sheet of Al foil straight out of the oven and not burn yourself)

Chances are it didn't shield very well...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
i will check the logic board later (since it is open for painting:):):D)

Double check for dust in the connectors and I once used a blowdryer on a disconnected iBook G3 keyboard and it fried the thing. Not that much heat wrecked it. You may just need a new keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.