Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Ngmoco Raises Additional $10 Million in Financing

Silicon Alley Insider reports that iPhone game developer ngmoco:) has raised $10 million in series B venture capital financing.
Quote:
Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and iPod touch platform has been a huge hit for gaming, so it's no surprise that one of the iPhone's best game publishers has just closed a new round of financing.

Ngmoco has raised $10 million in series B financing, led by Norwest Venture Partners. Previous investors, including Kleiner Perkins and Maples Investments, also participated.
ngmoco:) was one of the first recipients of venture financing from Kleiner Perkins Caulfield & Byers' iFund initiative, and has produced such popular games as MazeFinger, Topple, Topple 2, and Rolando. Their fundraising success, along with a recent $3.9 million financing for Smule, demonstrate that investors continue to view Apple's App Store as a viable marketplace with significant potential for the future.

Article Link: Ngmoco Raises Additional $10 Million in Financing

Last edited by mkrishnan; Mar 23, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Disabled smilies so the company name appears correctly
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:25 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Very nicely done. Their pipeline of upcoming games, including that space tower defense game and their sequel plans for Rolando, looks outstanding.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
spaceballl
macrumors 68030

How much money did they get in their first round? Curious how this round compares...
spaceballl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:56 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceballl View Post
How much money did they get in their first round? Curious how this round compares...
I think that $3.9M Smule fund investment was their first major round, but I'm not sure.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:01 PM   #5
spaceballl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I think that $3.9M Smule fund investment was their first major round, but I'm not sure.
Smule is a different company.
spaceballl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Smule is a different company.
Oh, oops, I thought it was the VC. I thought I remembered hearing about ngmoco's first round, and now I can't seem to find it anywhere....
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:19 PM   #7
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
$5.6 million, I believe:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...nto-more-cash/
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:28 PM   #8
PAC2007
macrumors member

Fair play to them indeed! Hope it all works out for them and to give us some awesome apps in return!

PAC2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:34 AM   #9
mj6252
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to mj6252
Talking expect more...

because of the additional features of iPhone 3.0 and the possible new hardwares, game developers have a lot of spaces to grow, and who knows what kind of new games they will gonna give us next... especially when the update is up for us and possible new hardwares.

we may see more developers trying to come up with more fundings these days. the video game industry has been good even with recession - not great, but at least not as bad as the others. And Apple releasing 3.0 with options to developers to sell new levels/stuff and to gamers to buy more challenge... i think its a win win situation.

one of the thing that will hinder this is the battery capacity of iPhone. We will need longer hours for the games (and calls, emails and etc) and I hope Apple will address this.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi
mj6252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:14 AM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj6252 View Post
one of the thing that will hinder this is the battery capacity of iPhone. We will need longer hours for the games (and calls, emails and etc) and I hope Apple will address this.
This is not an unfair point... it's something that has been Apple's strong suit, also -- if nothing else, essentially every single time the iPod franchise gets an update, they come out with longer battery life, and typically a brighter screen and a little weight loss.

I would add one more... I haven't followed iPhone Firmware 3.0 news that closely, but Apple has got to do something about memory management. I'm sure that, long term, they will just add more RAM to the iPhone, but the inconsistency with which many apps run because Safari and Mail and other system apps are holding onto memory, and the way that games make the iPhone need to be rebooted much more often, or else they start getting choppy, etc, needs to be addressed.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion