Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Hello all,

Just got back from a vacation and have some AVIs that I shot on my digital camera. I want to edit these but some of the were shot vertically instead of horizontally. Does anyone know what program I can use to rotate these? Can't find a feature to do so in iMovie - using a 3rd party program is probably the way to go - please advise. Thanks.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
you can rotate the TV screen by bending down slightly at the knees while keeping your back straight and place the TV on its side. :D

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Great idea :rolleyes: except granny's hip replacement might give out. Any real suggestions?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
if you have quicktime pro, you can go to movie, get movie properties, then hit the movies dropdown menu, and select the 2nd movies in that drop down menu. after that, in the right hand column, go to size, then you can rotate the movie.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Thanks bennetsaysargh - just bought QT Pro and it worked like a charm!

Piece of cake and a ton cheaper than buying pro-level stuff - I always forget how much Apple packs into their SW. Many thanks!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
bennetsaysargh said:
if you have quicktime pro, you can go to movie, get movie properties, then hit the movies dropdown menu, and select the 2nd movies in that drop down menu. after that, in the right hand column, go to size, then you can rotate the movie.

Dude you're a life saver!

Why doesn't Apple shout about this kind of function?

I'd have never found this without these forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I had the same problem but, unwilling to spring for QT pro, didn't have an answer.

And I've fixed it in the most embarassing way. I used Windows Movie Maker which did the job no problems. And it's free. And I PAID for iMovie.

Never thought I'd see the day.....

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
mpw said:
Why doesn't Apple shout about this kind of function?

because it should be standard in every video production app. apple tends to shout about the extras more than the included standards.

jwtseng

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
This is an awesome tip! I've shot some video with my digicam vertically before and figured that I was up a creek. You tip gives new life to these videos and more flexibility for future projects. Thanks so much!

James
Visit my baby's blog... http://www.dirtdoog.com/

GLes4Paul

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
I've successfully rotated a video using TransformMovie however, when i inserted the clip into imovie the video became squashed and distorted due to irregular height. Is there anyway to either shrink the overall size of the video (height and width) or even better is there a way to crop out part of the video much like a photo? I have been searching the web for a solution to this problem and have come up with nothing, can anyone help?

Doogie

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Use The Ken Burns Effect

Hi GLesPaul,
I've been using Transform Movie to flip the video clip. It should rotate OK, but it shouldn't be "squashed". Change the X-Axis to-1, and the Y-Axis also to -1.
This should give you a long skinny movie, but upright. Then put your clip in your IMovie 9 project and open up the Ken Burns Effect. You have two good options here.
1) you can us the crop function to get the piece of the clip you want, or
2) you can use the panning function, with the entry and exit rectangles.
Hope this helps. The Ken Burns Effect is my get-out-of-jail-free card for a lot of video screw-ups.

dctocali

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
this was really helpful...after trying a plug in for iMovie that turned my video into a series of pictures put together without my sound among other things, transform movie was PERFECT

Thanks!

grkprncezz

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
help

hi, i read all your comments but i still can't seem to get my videos to rotate? any ideas as to why?

kollontaj

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
hi, i read all your comments but i still can't seem to get my videos to rotate? any ideas as to why?
Assuming you have QT7Pro, open the video in Quicktime Player, and from the window menu select "Show Movie Properties" (command-j)
You will see a list of audio and video streams included in the file. Click on the "video track" you want to edit - most likely there will only be one.
Now you can rotate your video using the "Visual Settings" tab in the lower half of the window.
Good luck!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.