Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I want to hook a Mini DisplayPort 24" LED Cinema Display to my 2006 Mac Pro (it's actually the 2007 8-core refresh (specs), dual processor 3 GHz Clovertown quad core Xeon X5365 with 8 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM, identifier MacPro2,1). This machine shipped with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT video card (with two dual link DVI ports). It has since been upgraded to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT upgrade card for first gen Mac Pros that Apple offered after-market (here).

The Mini DisplayPort video cards that ship with the new March 2009 Nehalem Mac Pros are also being sold by Apple after-market. They're saying the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 (here) is compatible only with the new 2009 Mac Pros, but the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (here) is compatible with both the new model (2009 Mac Pro) and the previous model (2008 Mac Pro).

So there are two video cards available for the Mac Pro, but allegedly neither of them is compatible with my 2006 Mac Pro. Google turned up this thread (" Radeon 4870 in 2006 Mac Pro? " on hardforum.com) where they say the 2006 Mac Pro has 32 bit EFI, which makes it not work with the newer video cards. Also, the PCI Express slots in this machine are PCIe 1.1, whereas the 2008 Mac Pro's are PCIe 2.0, as are the slots in the new Nehalem 2009 Mac Pro. But wikipedia says
new PCIe 2.0 graphics cards are compatible with PCIe 1.1 motherboards, meaning that they will run on them using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1
so maybe there's a chance that the new card will work in my old Mac Pro, even though Apple doesn't explicitly support it? I'm thinking of just buying one to try it, and returning it if it doesn't work. What do you guys think? Is there any chance it will work in my machine?

Alternatively, if the newer video cards won't work in this old Mac Pro, then what about an adapter? Apple sells Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters (here and here) which allow to plug DVI displays into new Mini DisplayPort macs, but so far I can't find any DVI to DisplayPort adapters, neither from Apple nor from third parties. Do such adapters exist, or will they any time soon?

What do you guys think? Is there a way to get the Mini DisplayPort monitors hooked up to my rig? I don't think I can justify upgrading my cheese grater for another 2 years probably... :(

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
There are better, cheaper, more color-accurate monitors out there than the 24" cinema display.

Why are you in such a hurry to buy a monitor that will mainly be remembered for auguring in the return of proprietary ports and intrusive DRM at Apple?

hms84

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
I wanna do the same thing I just wanna hook up the new display on my max pro, I'll be waiting fir your result.

Cheers

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why are you in such a hurry to buy a monitor that will mainly be remembered for auguring in the return of proprietary ports and intrusive DRM at Apple?

Well first all, DisplayPort isn't proprietary. It's an open standard that will eventually replace DVI on displays. This is not quite the same thing as ADC was. There's no DRM on Apple's implementation of DisplayPort, either.

To the OP:

OWC did some testing not too long ago with the new GT120 and 4870 cards pulled from 2009 MPs on the 2006/2008 models. Apparently, neither card works in the 2006 model, but something tells me this might have to do with drivers. See this thread.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Well first all, DisplayPort isn't proprietary. It's an open standard that will eventually replace DVI on displays. This is not quite the same thing as ADC was. There's no DRM on Apple's implementation of DisplayPort, either.

The displayport Apple uses is there own design of the display port it is clled mini display port, based on the display port standard. So YeS it is proprietary because Apple is the only one using it. I thinkyou can find a better montor out there. Apple does not make the best monitors.
Good Luck

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The displayport Apple uses is there own design of the display port it is clled mini display port, based on the display port standard. So YeS it is proprietary because Apple is the only one using it.

Terrible argument. It's a free standard.

I thinkyou can find a better montor out there. Apple does not make the best monitors.

Find a 24" LED H-IPS monitor with a built-in webcam, speakers, a microphone, and laptop charger for less than Apple's Cinema Display.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The displayport Apple uses is there own design of the display port it is clled mini display port, based on the display port standard. So YeS it is proprietary because Apple is the only one using it. I thinkyou can find a better montor out there. Apple does not make the best monitors.
Good Luck
Mini DisplayPort is part of the DisplayPort specification. It's totally open and free to use. If no one uses it besides Apple, thats their problem.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
@OP - as has once been said it looks like you'll eventually be able to use the radeon 4870 in the mac pro classic. barefeats confirms that it works. however, it didn't work on their system without a workaround. they had to insert the boot drive from the 2009 mac pro into the 2006 mac pro to get it to work. so, hopefully, with a software upgrade it'll be good to go without a workaround.

lethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
@CaptainChunk, Wormy23, and bozz2006:

Thanks for the infos and links.

In the thread you linked (Interesting news from OWC regarding 4870/GT120 in older Mac Pro's), CaptainChunk, tobyg suggests reading the thread about flashing the 4870 ROM. I presume he meant this thread (Race to dump the 4870 ROM, Who's first? )? I looked at a couple of posts, but that monster is 11 pages long! I hope I don't have to flash any video card firmware, I've no idea how to do that.

But from what I've read in the thread that Wormy23 (OEM Radeon 4870 working on First Gen Mac Pro ), it seems like the ATI Radeon HD 4870 will work with the 10.5.7 drivers. That's great news! If I'd found that thread with google, I probably wouldn't have posted this thread. So I think I'll wait until 10.5.7 drops, and then try the upgrade to the ATI HD Radeon 4870.

I will post back to confirm whether it works for me. I guess it might be a couple months before 10.5.7 is released though. Thanks again all.

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
@OP - as has once been said it looks like you'll eventually be able to use the radeon 4870 in the mac pro classic. barefeats confirms that it works. however, it didn't work on their system without a workaround. they had to insert the boot drive from the 2009 mac pro into the 2006 mac pro to get it to work. so, hopefully, with a software upgrade it'll be good to go without a workaround.

I credit you with coining the term "Mac Pro Classic". Well done, I like it. :D

lethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I will post back to confirm whether it works for me. I guess it might be a couple months before 10.5.7 is released though. Thanks again all.

OK, 10.5.7 came out, and I got the ATI Radeon HD 4870 and the Apple LED Cinema Display. I accidentally snapped the little clip at the inner end of my PCIe slot, whoops. But aside from that snafu (I guess the card isn't mounted as snugly as it should be), the new display works over the Mini DisplayPort connection.

One problem, the built in mic and speakers work too, but so far I can't get the built-in iSight to work. The iSight shows up in System Profiler, but my Photo Booth and iChat and Google Voice browser plugin don't. They say "no camera". Dunno what's going on there.

lethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
One problem, the built in mic and speakers work too, but so far I can't get the built-in iSight to work. The iSight shows up in System Profiler, but my Photo Booth and iChat and Google Voice browser plugin don't. They say "no camera". Dunno what's going on there.

A reboot (with the display's USB plugged in) and the iSight works. I guess it's not hot-pluggable? Whatever. I'm all set. Thanks!

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
A reboot (with the display's USB plugged in) and the iSight works. I guess it's not hot-pluggable? Whatever. I'm all set. Thanks!

Phew! Glad to hear that everything is working! My Apple OEM ATI HD4870 will be here on Monday,and I'm planning on getting the LED Cinema display, esp. if Apple does not announce any new "Pro" displays this month.

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
OK, 10.5.7 came out, and I got the ATI Radeon HD 4870 and the Apple LED Cinema Display. I accidentally snapped the little clip at the inner end of my PCIe slot, whoops. But aside from that snafu (I guess the card isn't mounted as snugly as it should be), the new display works over the Mini DisplayPort connection.

So you've said you got the Octo-Core Mac Pro? I'm trying to decide if I should do this as well, I've got an original Mac Pro, from Aug 2006. Are there any differences do you think? I'd love to know!

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I am having a hard time purchasing a graphics card for for my 2006 Quad 2.66 for $350 just so I can hook up a $900 display...all of a sudden the display is $1250...especially since I was looking to get dual LED 24"s instead of a single 30" Apple display even though they equal the same price ($1800). But all of a sudden the 2x24" are going to cost $700 more than the 30". Guess my mind is made up...are there any other suggestions besides switching display companies???

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am having a hard time purchasing a graphics card for for my 2006 Quad 2.66 for $350 just so I can hook up a $900 display...all of a sudden the display is $1250...especially since I was looking to get dual LED 24"s instead of a single 30" Apple display even though they equal the same price ($1800). But all of a sudden the 2x24" are going to cost $700 more than the 30". Guess my mind is made up...are there any other suggestions besides switching display companies???

Are you that dead-set on buying Apple displays? LED backlighting isn't the end-all, be-all of display feature sets. There are other things that are more important to me at least, like accuracy and real control over color.

I have two HP LP2475w displays. They use nice IPS panels, have lots of inputs, and after calibration, they look outstanding. I paid $600 each for them on Amazon with free shipping. Most 24" class displays with IPS panels and feature sets like this command $800+.

Another avenue you might want to explore is possibly finding used or refurbished 23" ACDs (you know, the ones that the 24" LED models replaced). Those connect via DVI and can be used with any graphics card you want. Though the display tech is older, you can accuse the 30" model of the same thing.

nurv2600

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Good Luck

It is a free standard, and will soon be adopted on Windows boxes. It supports higher resolutions than DVI and is a newer standard and is easily adaptable back down to HDMI, DVI, DL-DVI, and VGA. Just because Apple is the only one who widely adopted the standard does NOT mean it's proprietary. Apple's minidisplayport fully conforms to the displayport/minidisplayport standard.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
It is a free standard, and will soon be adopted on Windows boxes. It supports higher resolutions than DVI and is a newer standard and is easily adaptable back down to HDMI, DVI, DL-DVI, and VGA. Just because Apple is the only one who widely adopted the standard does NOT mean it's proprietary. Apple's minidisplayport fully conforms to the displayport/minidisplayport standard.

Actually it has already been adopted by AMD. Most Radeon 6xxx cards ship with miniDP connectors these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.