Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evan g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Debut Tech Interview 1

Debut Tech Interview 2

Well surprise from GDC! I would watch, because this is absolutely mindblowing. According to them, I could play Crysis full HD and everything, no problem, no lag, on this service. And all it takes a membership fee and a 1 MB plugin in my browser! :eek:

This is pretty darn crazy, if you ask me. :D

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
this is BIG!!!

advantages:

-no new hardware for gaming and no worrying about the specs (huge savings because of this)
-no more use for consoles
-can play games like crysis (on all HIGH SETTINGS!!!)on a macbook air or netbook
-mac+ pc games are out at the same time since it is all browser based (specialized browser) so you don't need boot camp for gaming
-small game makers now have a better chance of publishing a game without having to worry about console fees and disk manufacturing costs.

disadvantages:
-untested on a mass scale
-bandwidth. if you have dsl or dial-up you're out.
-pricing not available yet

this could potentially reinvent gaming. i hope they follow a netflix style pricing structure or the thing won't take off. all the major publishers are jumping on this so there won't be a shortage of games. gta4 and crysis are games that are going to be on onlive.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's about time! A few of us were mulling over the possibilities of this kind of system way back in college. But urgh that thing looks hideous. Face buttons spelling out L-I-V-E?

It's a great idea but I just don't see it taking off yet.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
OnLive is not the future of gaming, its a great idea but would bomb faster than the dreamcast.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
For someone like me, who doesn't have a PC good enough for Crysis (yet), it's going to be awesome. I quite like the controller too. But I can use my PS3 controller with my laptop :D:D

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
how much per month? I call BS on their 1ms lag talk, and i dunno about never owning a game and instead having to pay a subscription for the rest of my life.

Neat idea but I'm on the fence.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Vaporware. You have to transmit control info to the server (100ms+) process the input, update the game cycle then transmit an HD image at 30fps back to your screen. This is a hype machine pure and simple.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
It's not a bad idea but hardly the future of gaming.

Like Jackaxe, this is just not for me.

Also good luck for them if the service becomes popular, they are going to be buying and upgrading computers left and right, not to mention the huge bandwidth costs.

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Seems to be too good to be true. Others articles say to expect a live showing sometime this week during GDC. Should be interesting to see if nothing goes wrong... I always remember when the PC clunks out when Bill Gates was talking about Windows on stage. lol

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
how much per month? I call BS on their 1ms lag talk, and i dunno about never owning a game and instead having to pay a subscription for the rest of my life.

Neat idea but I'm on the fence.

1ms if you happen to live next to one of their servers and a T1 connection.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I cannot see this being as smooth as what they're saying. And what happens when lots of people use the service?

Sorry. As I posted in the Onlive thread in the console forum I don't think this is the right time for such a service.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Vaporware. You have to transmit control info to the server (100ms+) process the input, update the game cycle then transmit an HD image at 30fps back to your screen. This is a hype machine pure and simple.

A hype machine for what? Engadget, gizmodo, 1up and others witnessed first hand that they were playing cysis on high using just a MacBook. I'm surprised that there are people rooting against this. I'm don't know if it's going to work but I'm hoping it does. Macs get continually screwed when it comes to games because of direct x. This way we get the same games at the same time.

I've owned every generation of consoles since the 2600 except this generation. Quite simply I'm tired of having lousy hardware that continually breaks, exclusive deals with certain consoles, and game prices rising.

With onlive I get to do gaming on my mac without ever having to deal with windows, no red ring of death, and always get to play the latest and greatest without buying expensive new hardware.

People act as if there is some great reason to owning a game. Do they feel the same way about netflix? Or how about that $70 game you bought is no longer supported is no longer supported by the next generation console hardware.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
How about everyone waits to criticize until you actually see it in action?

Why when its business model has already showed that its flawed? There is enough we know now to criticize, chances are seeing it in action isnt going to change the subscription model or laughable latency rates they are talking about.

evan g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I cannot see this being as smooth as what they're saying. And what happens when lots of people use the service?

Sorry. As I posted in the Onlive thread in the console forum I don't think this is the right time for such a service.

They seem pretty confident. Besides, a little optimism never hurt. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.