Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1
sepandee
macrumors regular

Restore iPhone through itunes: will i lose jailbreak?

Just what the title says: I jailbreaked my iphone. Now, if i restore my iphone through itunes, will I end up with a regular, un-jailbroken (is that even a technical word?) iphone?

And how can I make sure my phone is jailbroken or not?
Thanks.
sepandee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2
GilGrissom
macrumors 65816

Yes you will. iTunes restore process installs a fresh copy of the iPhone OS onto the device, wiping off the previous copy, which is the jailbroken one.

Unless you're using iTunes to restore an already jailbroken modified iPhone OS, in which case you'll effectively end up with a jailbroken device still.

Otherwise you'll have to jailbreak again after a normal iTunes restore using the official Apple firmware.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
sepandee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilGrissom View Post
Yes you will. iTunes restore process installs a fresh copy of the iPhone OS onto the device, wiping off the previous copy, which is the jailbroken one.

Unless you're using iTunes to restore an already jailbroken modified iPhone OS, in which case you'll effectively end up with a jailbroken device still.

Otherwise you'll have to jailbreak again after a normal iTunes restore using the official Apple firmware.
Thanks. SOrry I know this question has probably popped up here and there, but how do i know and make sure that i don't have a jailbroken device for sure? Is there anything in settings that will tell me? I have to return my iPhone and that's why I asked. I restored my iphone through itunes but heck, i'm a paranoid guy :P
sepandee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Make sure you do a DFU restore, or at least a normal restore, to stock firmware before upgrading. Then update to the latest firmware, and Jailbreak. Or just update to a Pwned firmware.

But never just simply update a JB phone, unless you like losing 500mb or more of your phone's capacity.

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks