Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:38 AM   #1
kiwi_the_iwik
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kiwi_the_iwik
Chinese kidnapped in Iraq...

More here...

Now, if THAT doesn't take the cake...

With these new waves of violence and hostage-taking, I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME fathom why the CHINESE would be targets for any attacks.

The only advice I can give these nutters is:

"Don't prod a sleeping dragon..."

P.S. - Sorry, Arn. I didn't put this into the "War Discussion" thread - but on reflection, this could have some SERIOUS ramifications at any rate. Place it where you feel fit...

Last edited by kiwi_the_iwik; Apr 12, 2004 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Realised it's not in "War Discussion" Thread...
kiwi_the_iwik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:25 AM   #2
macka
macrumors regular

Yeah. That sucks big time. What on earth did they do with the Japanese hostages? And the American? What about the four Italians they allegedly took hold of....hell how many hostages HAVE they got?!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:57 AM   #3
kiwi_the_iwik
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kiwi_the_iwik
Yes - sorry to not mention the other poor bastards taken by these lunatics...

I mean - what do they (the kidnappers) POSSIBLY think they can gain by terrorising unarmed civilians? The military have their own agenda, and the state of play dictates that any further negative developments will only strengthen the military's resolve in staying longer.

If the radical factions of Iraq would only see that only when the country is ready for peace, then - and ONLY then - will there be a withdrawal of troops.

As it stands, the coalition forces look like they will be there for some time to come...

But for the time being, why don't the radical elements just LET the foreign "infidels" rebuild their country (if only to just USE their technical expertise?!?)? After that, the population will have a decent infrastructure with which to start a new and improved society.

Talk about blinkered narrow-mindedness...

Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:29 AM   #4
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_the_iwik
Yes - sorry to not mention the other poor bastards taken by these lunatics...

I mean - what do they (the kidnappers) POSSIBLY think they can gain by terrorising unarmed civilians? The military have their own agenda, and the state of play dictates that any further negative developments will only strengthen the military's resolve in staying longer.

If the radical factions of Iraq would only see that only when the country is ready for peace, then - and ONLY then - will there be a withdrawal of troops.

As it stands, the coalition forces look like they will be there for some time to come...

But for the time being, why don't the radical elements just LET the foreign "infidels" rebuild their country (if only to just USE their technical expertise?!?)? After that, the population will have a decent infrastructure with which to start a new and improved society.

Talk about blinkered narrow-mindedness...

Unfortunate though these foreigners undoubtedly are, the point is presumably that these Iraqis do not want to make it cheap or easy for the US to march in and take over. Why should they?
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:30 AM   #5
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
I think in the end the hostage taking is only going to hurt the Iraqis. It almost seems as though its a last ditch effort and that they're under a lot of pressure. And by targeting any one who isn't native only makes it seem like there that much more unstable.

D

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events