Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
UK
450D with a 15MP sensor and video mode.
I thought the 450D was too recent for an update, apparently not so.
There was a new entry level flash gun update too.
I'm still wondering when the 1D MK IV will arrive. Can't wait for that one :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Meh, more megapixels (which are useless if you use a cheap kit lens) and yet another dslr with a (for me personally) useless movie mode. Good side effects include, though, that the 450D will become cheaper and that Nikon is pressured into lowering the price for its D90.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
450D with a 15MP sensor and video mode.
I thought the 450D was too recent for an update, apparently not so.
There was a new entry level flash gun update too.
I'm still wondering when the 1D MK IV will arrive. Can't wait for that one :)

The 1D is barely 2 years old, Canon tend to upgrade the pro camera series every 3 years. Besides, what can the mk3 not do now for you?

There is talk that the 1Dsmk4 is going to be delayed because of the economy, who will afford to buy one? The same line of thought might apply for the 1D series, what is it that really needs updating?

These prosumer cameras are a lot cheaper to push out with updates, hence their frequent updates.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Meh, more megapixels (which are useless if you use a cheap kit lens) and yet another dslr with a (for me personally) useless movie mode. Good side effects include, though, that the 450D will become cheaper and that Nikon is pressured into lowering the price for its D90.

For movie making the new panasonic would seem the better choice.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
If it's like the 5DMKII the movie mode works by pressing the print button.

You then either take a picture by using the shutter button or start the movie by pressing the set button - or another button.

Seems like a great little camera - shame it is missing the scroll wheel at the back. Price is a bit steep - I'm surprised it is not a few £100 cheaper - but it is a lot of camera...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well I must admit that 500D will make new 450D buyers cry cause it is seriously value for money, of course it means closing an eye on the 20fps Full HD mode. But dSLR is not about video, video is just an add-on bonus, overall Im glad of the increase ISO range from 1600 up to 6400 and boost 12800. That's a welcoming change but heck, if I upgrade my body, I think it wont be a beginner body and instead either 60/70D or 5D mark III :rolleyes:

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
I'm hoping this lowers the 450D price. Could make it easier for me to decide which DSLR to buy :)

JC

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I have the feeling that Canon will merge all their 1D to a single 1D FF (meaning no more APS-H 1D and no more 1Ds) by 2010.

Why next year? Cause world cup is next year and its a great opportunity for Canon to get those WC photogs to use the new 1D and it will also be a great promotion for them.

But seriously, the 2 functions that I wish Canon would adopt from Nikon is:
1. AF points or at least give 1D AF points to 5D!
2. Battery grip - don't need to open battery compartment and able to boost FPS.

Hmm and so far I feel its hard to reach the wheel to adjust the aperture value :(, shutter wheel is fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.