Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Hi there,

Is it possible to keep the geotag information without taking a photo?
I'm thinking of a way to take photos with my regular digital camera but still take advantage of geotagging via the iPhone.

That way you don't have to sacrifice in quality and still have your photos geotagged for iPhoto use.

Thanks! :D

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Hi there,

I'm thinking of a way to take photos with my regular digital camera but still take advantage of geotagging via the iPhone.

That way you don't have to sacrifice in quality and still have your photos geotagged for iPhoto use.

Yes. We're actually in the final stages of beta testing our new application, PlaceTagger, which will do precisely this. We will have both a free Mac app (Leopard only) as well as an Aperture plugin available. It's coming soon. :)

All of what I'm about to show you is fully functional (with the exception of the help view -- we're still working on that). I'm leaving screenshots of the desktop app and aperture plugin out, for now -- but they're almost complete as well (they already work, we're just squashing bugs). Here are some screens to wet your appetite (ignore the silliness on the export screen, I just picked two arbitrary dates):

ss2.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Hi there,

There is already an app that does the job. The app is GeoLogTag and it works very good. I already geotagged a few hundreds of photos based on the locations recorded by GeoLogTag.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
There is already an app that does the job. The app is GeoLogTag and it works very good. I already geotagged a few hundreds of photos based on the locations recorded by GeoLogTag.

Thanks for the heads up :) Our app is really targeted at those who want to do more than just upload to flickr. Although flickr's a great site, many people like using other software to manage their photo libraries (like Apterure, iPhoto, Picasa, Lightroom, etc.). Also, our app gives one more control on how often datapoints are recorded, accuracy, whether or not to interpolate between data points, etc. so users can control everything from accuracy to battery life. In short, these are two different target audiences -- we're targeting enthusiasts and professionals while GeoLogTag (in my opinion) targets the general point and shoot user who uploads to flicker. Oh, and our app allows one to export via email OR use a built in webserver to get location data. What's neat about this is other developers can write applications to use the geologged data for any purpose, not just tagging photos. :)

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for the heads up :) Our app is really targeted at those who want to do more than just upload to flickr. Although flickr's a great site, many people like using other software to manage their photo libraries (like Apterure, iPhoto, Picasa, Lightroom, etc.). Also, our app gives one more control on how often datapoints are recorded, accuracy, whether or not to interpolate between data points, etc. so users can control everything from accuracy to battery life. In short, these are two different target audiences -- we're targeting enthusiasts and professionals while GeoLogTag (in my opinion) targets the general point and shoot user who uploads to flicker. Oh, and our app allows one to export via email OR use a built in webserver to get location data. What's neat about this is other developers can write applications to use the geologged data for any purpose, not just tagging photos. :)

You're right about the accuracy and battery life, but not about the Flickr stuff. I'm using GeoLogTag to geotag my photos before I import them in iPhoto. The Flickr functionality is a bonus, it's not a requirement to use it. Since GeoLogTag exports GPX files you can use it with a variety of other applications (not limited to geotagging).

I understand that you want to promote your app, but you should also give correct information about competing apps.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
When I read the description on the link you posted, it looked to me like this was a flickr-pnly application too, at least on a quick read. That was reinforced by the App Store description. So maybe the confusion is just an honest misreading of what the application claims to do.

I do see on further digging that the GPX file can be used by a variety of other applications besides flickr.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
You're right about the accuracy and battery life, but not about the Flickr stuff. I'm using GeoLogTag to geotag my photos before I import them in iPhoto. The Flickr functionality is a bonus, it's not a requirement to use it. Since GeoLogTag exports GPX files you can use it with a variety of other applications (not limited to geotagging).

I understand that you want to promote your app, but you should also give correct information about competing apps.

We NEVER purposely give incorrect info. The screenshots on the site don't really show any additional functionality besides that, though, so I made that assumption. My mistake.

Anyway, GPX..no problem. We'll add support for it via email export. Honestly, I don't know how I missed that app when I searched before. Regardless, we're going to release the app since we think it's a good app. You can be the judge of whether or not it's better than GeoLogTag. Thanks for the info and suggestion on GPX. :)

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
that app looks so complicated

Ah, I purposely showed the "advanced" settings mode. The simple mode is just a single slider that lets you pick between better accuracy and battery life and PlaceTagger will take care of the rest. Really it's just a matter of tapping record, taking some pictures, and then syncing with our desktop app which will geotag the pictures for you.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's pretty cool. Much like time and date stamping, I think geotagging (place stamping) photos is a pretty cool idea.

Too bad the iPhone doesn't have a compass though. It'd be neat see the directions of the photos in addition to the location.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I've done this before. I use Track n Trail and it records to a .gpx file that you can either upload to the web or email to yourself. Then you just combine the data from that file, to your photos with geotagging software and you're good to go.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's pretty cool. Much like time and date stamping, I think geotagging (place stamping) photos is a pretty cool idea.

Too bad the iPhone doesn't have a compass though. It'd be neat see the directions of the photos in addition to the location.

Hmm ... is this something the 3Gs does?

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
I have used the trailguru app for geotagging. You have to upload your track to trailguru website then download it to your computer as a .gpx file and then run the gpicsync program to add the GPS info to your photos.

Sounds more complicated than it really is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.