Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:02 AM   #1
00bolt
macrumors member

Considering Apple TV, will it work on multiple tvs?

Iv been tempted to buy an Apple TV a few times now and just haven't done it yet. Id like to ask a few questions first. Here is my current situation.

I have a tv room, where we normally watch movies as a family. This is also room where I watch my "guy" movies.

In our living room, is where we usually flop down and watch tv shows, news, etc.. My daughter usually watches cartoons in here. This is where my wife usually watches her "girl" movies, etc..

My son has a tv in his room, he watches his movies, video games, etc..

My daughter has a tv in her room, but is only 3 and rarely watches anything in there.

What I was hoping for was to get an Apple TV and have it play on multiple tvs. I dont want to buy 4 apple tvs. That seems ridiculous. So my question is, is there a way have a single apple tv work on more than one tv?
00bolt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post
Iv been tempted to buy an Apple TV a few times now and just haven't done it yet. Id like to ask a few questions first. Here is my current situation.

I have a tv room, where we normally watch movies as a family. This is also room where I watch my "guy" movies.

In our living room, is where we usually flop down and watch tv shows, news, etc.. My daughter usually watches cartoons in here. This is where my wife usually watches her "girl" movies, etc..

My daughter has a tv in her room, but is only 3 and rarely watches anything in there.

What I was hoping for was to get an Apple TV and have it play on multiple tvs. I dont want to buy 4 apple tvs. That seems ridiculous. So my question is, is there a way have a single apple tv work on more than one tv?
No, you'd need one per TV... just like a DVD player, Tivo, Playstation 3, etc...
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:05 AM   #3
RemarkabLee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post

No
RemarkabLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:08 AM   #4
wwooden
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wwooden Send a message via Skype™ to wwooden
It would work on multiple tv's......

if you don't mind moving it each time.

As the others have said, it is similar to a DVD player, game console, etc. It is a device to connect to a single tv to allow you to watch movie files from the iTunes store. You can either store them on the AppleTV or stream them from a computer.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:12 AM   #5
00bolt
macrumors member

ok, well thats that I guess. I just thought there may be some way to network it. I have 4 computers at my house. Had another thought...

I was playing around last night with MactheRipper and Toast. I ripped Bolt (we own it btw). Then was going to use Toast to put it in a file and store on our timecapsule. Thought my son could watch it in his room on his computer.

What format do I need to do in toast so that it stays at full resolution? I saw how I can do for ipod, psp, etc... but what if I want to watch full screen on a computer?
00bolt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Atrael
macrumors newbie

I'd suggest using Handbrake to encode it and choosing the AppleTV preset.

I do want to point out that it is technically possible to set up an AppleTV to play on multiple TV's. I saw another poster describe his set up. Basically he uses two devices ( an AppleTV converter from www.svideo.com and this product http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-720 ) to basically convert the componant out from the AppleTV to Coax, then push that through a Cat5 cable to the various end locations then convert back. It's not an easy set up, and you wouldn't be able to watch different shows on each TV, but it is technically possible.
Atrael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Jorad
macrumors newbie

You should be able to use something like a matrix switcher to get your desired results. Take a look at the gefen 4x4 HDMI cat 5 Matrix. They claim to be HDCP compliant. Add an IR blaster and you can distribute and control video to anywhere and from anywhere in your home.

Just to warn you about the sticker-shock, the matrix switcher is about $4000 , but I'm sure there are cheaper solutions out there (like getting an Apple TV for every set).
Jorad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8
realityking
macrumors member

You have to realize that the AppleTV is already the device that accepts the video transported trough the network.
You can easily have a central server with all your iTunes purchases and DVD rips (I also recommend HandBrake) and serve it to 4 AppleTVs.

Any solution with one AppleTV will limit you to watching the same thing on all screens - and is likely more expansive that buying 4 AppleTVs.
realityking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:01 PM   #9
uraniumwilly
macrumors 6502

This two room solution is working for me (hdmi switcher/amp below). There are complications with multiple-room surround but surround in the living room and stereo in the bedroom is a nice enough temp situation.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...=1238085811468
uraniumwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
richardhunt
macrumors regular

If all the TV's have component inputs, just buy a component distribution amplifier for around $110 for 4 outputs. Then you run 5 sets of rca component wires to all the TV's and you have Apple TV in every room. The only caveat is that only 1 program will play in all TV's. If you want to view independently of each other you would need more Apple TV's. But depending on your wiring situation, you could wire all 4 TV's for about the price of a 2nd Apple TV. ($100 for the distribution amp, and about $40 each for 3 sets of 100ft cables, plus about $10 for a 6 footer)
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:10 PM   #11
ixtractm
macrumors newbie

Will an additional apple TV count as another device?

The easiest solution seems to be buying another apple TV unit. My question now is, will you have to deactivate another device in itunes to make room for another apple TV? I believe you are only allowed 5 devices on an itunes account.
ixtractm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
bt22
macrumors 6502

you apple id allows up to 5 computers to be associated with you apple id. no limit to the number of devices. we have 4 iphones, 3 apple tv's and two ipads.
bt22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:39 PM   #13
wharzhee
Banned

my apple tv - 2 of them - were never registered under my account.

i think u can have limitless number of ATV (until they start to cap it)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt22 View Post
you apple id allows up to 5 computers to be associated with you apple id. no limit to the number of devices. we have 4 iphones, 3 apple tv's and two ipads.
there is a limit for devices accessing iCloud contents - i believe 10 devices

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtractm View Post
The easiest solution seems to be buying another apple TV unit. My question now is, will you have to deactivate another device in itunes to make room for another apple TV? I believe you are only allowed 5 devices on an itunes account.
only 5 computers and 10 devices.
ATV: I think there's a loophole for now.
wharzhee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:06 AM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

U noobs have to got stop resuscitating 3 years old posts.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater