Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinoyplaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Hey everyone. I got my MacBook yesterday and during the Mac Setup as I first booted the device, it asked me for information including my mac user id (the one I use for iTunes purchases and etc). Now, I didnt know that my computer would have this as its directory. Because I use my e-mail account as my username on iTunes.

When I click on the finder, it shows my e-mail address under "Places" but without the @msn.com and etc.

So how do I go about changing that to something else? Any ideas?

Thanks

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
i have the same 'problem' it has my name in lowercaps, prekeshchavda, and it looks really stupid.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
you just gotta catch that page during set up. I changed mine to just say "James" instead of jamesgorman, which to me looks stupid with no upper case and no space in it.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I too mistakenly put my email address as my short name 2 years ago when I got my first Mac. It bothers me to this day. When snow leopard is out, I think I will start fresh with a new user and transfer my files over manually. That way I get rid of my horrible short name.

pinoyplaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Well... I just got mine yesterday.. though I dont know if its worth all the hassle to restore lol. Its not like its gonna matter anyway :(

Though I would really love to have it changed haha. Without the need to restore of course.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
What about System Preferences - Accounts - Click on lock and input password - right click main account - advanced options - change short user name?

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
What about System Preferences - Accounts - Click on lock and input password - right click main account - advanced options - change short user name?

oh yeah, that might work, but its all "OMG IF U CHANGE UR MAC GONNA DIE"

:(

nuttyboy78

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Well, if you haven't installed too much software already, just create another admin account under the name that you actually want and then delete the one with the crazy name. No need to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.