Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I've got the urge to sail the rovin' seas. Throwin this out there...but I'm going to be getting my captains license this summer here in DC, and I want to buy a boat but don't have a clue on where to start. I want a sailboat, 20'+. Big enough to have 6+ friends on, something simple, reliable, not to many bells and whistles. A vessel my best friend and I could sail without too much trouble. Not planning on taking her far. Just down the Potomac or to Annapolis or the Chesapeake and back for a weekend+ trip. As a completely total beginner, what should I look out for? What sites are out there that are the "must read" places for prospective boat-buyers?

A quick perusing of Craigslist revealed these:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/1080948119.html
http://smd.craigslist.org/boa/1046864441.html

Trying to keep it under $20k. What other costs should I be considering (dock fees, other licenses, etc?)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You should prepared to pay several thousand $/year on a slip for a bigger boat like that. I'd recommend bringing someone along to look at the boats who really knows boats to consult and look for the little details that you might not notice.

Sailing little boats is one of my favorite summertime escapes. There's nothing like the snap of a sail catching the wind, a little spray in your face and the hot sun overhead...mmm now that it's getting warmer I wish I still had my wee tiny sailfish, that thing was a thrill. :D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My family has an Island Packet 35. In addition to the slip since you live in the Chesapeake area you will have to pay for land storage in the winter since it is recommended to haul your boat so some basic maintenance can be performed( sails cleaned, propeller checked and cleaned, bottom cleaned, etc) and to prevent ice from damaging your boat.

Sailing is awesome, but it is an expensive hobby. :)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I figured about yearly upkeep, storage, etc on a boat. I also just want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I pick her out. Thanks for the advice so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.