Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
easy-mac
macrumors member

How to increase iPhone vibration intensity for calls

Yesterday I went to the Apple Store because I was constantly missing calls on my iPhone and the Genius ran an evaluation on my phone and determined that my antenna was faulty and replaced my iPhone. This new iPhone seems to be of even better quality than the one it replaced (no gap between the metal rim and the screen, etc.), but there is one problem with it, and for me it's a pretty big problem. I always like to keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely feel, or let alone hear, the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls since yesterday while the phone was sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. Is there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?
32GB iPhone 5 White, 32GB iPad 3 LTE

Last edited by easy-mac; Mar 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
easy-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Can't do it. Sorry

Unless you want to strip the phone down, and do it manually... Which I wouldn't advice.

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:42 AM   #3
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-mac View Post
Yesterday I took my iPhone in because I was constantly missing calls. They ran an evaluation on my phone and determined that my antenna was faulty and replaced my iPhone. Now I'm very happy with this iPhone with the exception of one thing. I always keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely hear or even feel the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls in the last day while the phone has been sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. I s there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?
I noticed that the 3G's vibration isn't as strong as the original iPhone's vibration. There is no way to increase it and I don't think a replacement is going to help. I've had 4 iPhone 3Gs and they've all felt about the same.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
easy-mac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
I noticed that the 3G's vibration isn't as strong as the original iPhone's vibration. There is no way to increase it and I don't think a replacement is going to help. I've had 4 iPhone 3Gs and they've all felt about the same.
I just find it odd that this iPhone 3G's vibration is much much weaker than the iPhone 3G it replaced. The old one wasn't that strong to begin with, but this one's vibrations seem extremely weak. I can't really decide whether or not to take it back to the Genius and request another one. I suppose I may just ask about it and see what they say. I have to go back to the Apple Store anyway to get another screen protector because I forgot to remove mine from my old phone.
32GB iPhone 5 White, 32GB iPad 3 LTE
easy-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:07 PM   #5
clearchaos
macrumors regular

If you jailbreak, i can tell you how to do it. It's quite simple, actually.
clearchaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Mintin8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearchaos View Post
If you jailbreak, i can tell you how to do it. It's quite simple, actually.
Could you not tell us now? I don't JB but it would be pretty interesting to see how you do it.
Mintin8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

There's a program called "Vibrus" via Cydia on a jailbroken iPhone, which emulates tactile feedback by giving little vibrations when you type on the keyboard - the intensity of the vibration can be controlled. I don't know whether the program works for calls as well.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:09 PM   #8
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintin8 View Post
Could you not tell us now? I don't JB but it would be pretty interesting to see how you do it.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=545

The only caveat is that it applies to every vibration notification on the phone - calls, texts, IM programs, etc. But it definitely makes the vibration much more noticeable, so it's worth it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:38 PM   #9
clearchaos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCanuck72 View Post

The only caveat is that it applies to every vibration notification on the phone - calls, texts, IM programs, etc. But it definitely makes the vibration much more noticeable, so it's worth it.
yeah, this is what i was going to post.
clearchaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:42 PM   #10
vincenz
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCanuck72 View Post

Sorry if I didn't follow, but can I follow the instructions on that page if I haven't jailbroken my phone? I've been looking to increase the vibration without jb too.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:53 PM   #11
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Sorry if I didn't follow, but can I follow the instructions on that page if I haven't jailbroken my phone?
no
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
That's not what the OP was asking for. He wants to increase the vibration, not put more vibration in.

And I've tried all the JB Vibration apps, you can notice that the vibration starts after you've already typed. Not good.

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:01 PM   #13
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
That's not what the OP was asking for. He wants to increase the vibration, not put more vibration in.

And I've tried all the JB Vibration apps, you can notice that the vibration starts after you've already typed. Not good.
I know it's not exactly what he wanted, but I haven't found anything that actually increases the intensity (and I've looked, because I want it too). Increasing the duration is the next best thing. If you know how to increase the intensity, please enlighten us.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Prenvo
macrumors regular

Quote:
I didn't hear it vibrating.
Isn't that a good thing? Vibration is meant to tell *you* that something's happening, not others

Maybe you didn't mean to say "hear"...
Prenvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:28 AM   #15
theDUB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...I always like to keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely feel, or let alone hear, the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls since yesterday while the phone was sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. Is there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?
What?! The purpose of the vibration is to feel it. If the phone isn't on your person the vibration is not meant to alert you.

I would say the solution to your problem is pretty simple: turn on the ringer.
theDUB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone