Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Am I the only one who feels that iTunes has become far too bloated and heavy on system resources for such a simple task as......playing mp3s? Theres no reason for iTunes to be taking up 70+ mb of ram.

And why is still called 'iTunes' when its more of a media central application, seeing how it combines iphones, ipods, apple TV, ringtones, tv episodes, etc. Its become way too broad to be called iTunes.

This is one thing that bugs me. Some of us prefer not to use such a proprietary based digital audio player like the ipod/iphones and have more common sense by using UMS based players which dont require software, and therefor have no need for all the extra features of it. And seeing how theres really only itunes for mac thats worthy of being used, im pretty much stuck on iTunes. Basically, I *ONLY* use iTunes for mp3 playback on my mac. If this was the case on windows side, I'd have a plethora of choices (im expecting blind apple sheep to start screaming at me for that one). Each time I setup iTunes with a new installation or new login account, i turn off ALLLL the features. The only one that stays is internet radio.

Basically:

iTunes has become far too bloated and broad. There should be something lighter for such a common, simple, everyday used task as playing mp3s.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I can't say I disagree, but I use video, genius, itunes store, etc etc so I don't mind it. Perhaps looking for an older version? I know that's probably not what you're looking for though. I have used VLC for playing music on occasion, but I don't know how (or if) it can be used to manage a library.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I agree that it's becoming very bloated, but I think it's mainly in an effort to keep things simple for the end user. I think it would serve apple well to rethink their media application strategy though as this end user experience is beginning to suffer with all the overcrowding going on.

<edit> damn is this a Toronto only thread? ;) </edit>

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I can't say I disagree, but I use video, genius, itunes store, etc etc so I don't mind it. Perhaps looking for an older version? I know that's probably not what you're looking for though. I have used VLC for playing music on occasion, but I don't know how (or if) it can be used to manage a library.

VLC would work great, the EQ controls are on it are fantastic as are all the extra goodies, as well as it being super light on system resources.

Yah, managing a library would be a drag, the only other application thats good is Audion, but that has its faults too (although it DOES incorporate LAME mp3 encoding!)

I hope Snow Leopard separates iTunes from all the other stuff, or at least comes out with some kind of solution.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I use iTunes only for playing my music and radio stations (I use QuickTime for video playback). I have iTunes open 24/7 and have no problems. The only way you would know if it was using lots resources is if you're looking in the Activity Monitor... that is, unless you have an old computer that can handle only 1 GB of RAM.

I'm just wondering if you actually notice a difference in response time or you just think it's dumb because you only use it for audio playback.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I hope Snow Leopard separates iTunes from all the other stuff, or at least comes out with some kind of solution.

Unfortunately (at least for anyone that shares your hopes) I would think they're moving towards integrating iTunes MORE. With it managing iPhone apps, music, videos, internet radio, etc etc and being integrated into all of the iLife apps, I can't see them moving to seperate it after spending so long having it be the hub for your media and portable devices.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Am I the only one who feels that iTunes has become far too bloated and heavy on system resources for such a simple task as......playing mp3s? Theres no reason for iTunes to be taking up 70+ mb of ram.

And why is still called 'iTunes' when its more of a media central application, seeing how it combines iphones, ipods, apple TV, ringtones, tv episodes, etc. Its become way too broad to be called iTunes.

This is one thing that bugs me. Some of us prefer not to use such a proprietary based digital audio player like the ipod/iphones and have more common sense by using UMS based players which dont require software, and therefor have no need for all the extra features of it. And seeing how theres really only itunes for mac thats worthy of being used, im pretty much stuck on iTunes. Basically, I *ONLY* use iTunes for mp3 playback on my mac. If this was the case on windows side, I'd have a plethora of choices (im expecting blind apple sheep to start screaming at me for that one). Each time I setup iTunes with a new installation or new login account, i turn off ALLLL the features. The only one that stays is internet radio.

Basically:

iTunes has become far too bloated and broad. There should be something lighter for such a common, simple, everyday used task as playing mp3s.

Let's see here. iTunes is too feature heavy and slow and you do not want to use iPods or iPhones. The solution appears pretty much self evident. Don't use iTunes. You cannot snyc your non-apple player(s) on iTune w/o a hack, so why are you using iTunes at all?

Ah, perhaps the powers that be in Cupertino will hear your call and "dumb down" iTunes and open it to other mp3 players. After all, they are losing so much money with their current business model. My guess is that most Apple board members surf these boards at lease once every hour. Or not.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Let's see here. iTunes is too feature heavy and slow and you do not want to use iPods or iPhones. The solution appears pretty much self evident. Don't use iTunes. You cannot snyc your non-apple player(s) on iTune w/o a hack, so why are you using iTunes at all?

Ah, perhaps the powers that be in Cupertino will hear your call and "dumb down" iTunes and open it to other mp3 players. After all, they are losing so much money with their current business model. My guess is that most Apple board members surf these boards at lease once every hour. Or not.

I dont think you read my entire post, or youre having some reading comprehension complications.

I clearly stated that I dont use software proprietary DAPs (digital audio players). This means, my Sony MP3 player does NOT require me to sync to *any* kind of software. I know this is difficult for an apple fanboy to accept, but hear me out. Being FORCED to use iTunes just to transfer some mp3s to a device is NOT acceptable by those who have standards in a good (portable) DAP. Basically, I only need to copy and paste, or drag and drop mp3s, or folders of mp3s of my choice to the designated folder on the device itself. The ID3 tags in the MP3s are used to create the library on the device by itself, so theres nothing else to worry about. This also means I have the ability to TAKE BACK my mp3s on any computer and any system (be it OS X, windows, linux, etc so as long as it supports a USB device with FAT32 partition, which virtually all computers do). And, unlike an iPod (or others like the Zune) i dont need software hacks to get my mp3s back.

Now that i've completely dismantled your rhetoric (which I get this far too frequently from those who know nothing about mp3 player, syncing and such) please tell me why there needs to be only ONE peice of software for playing mp3s.

Flore

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
^^ I don't get the point of this.

Just use VLC or Quicktime or whatever else plays MP3 and manager your library via Folders. :confused:

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
So basically you want iTunes 1 that just let you import CDs to your library and play them... that's it?

I don't see Apple ever going back to that.

Sure, something light (i wouldnt mind some advanced features like LAME encoding). Or even a separate application from iTunes, as to not abandon the whole itunes media strategy for its demographic.

I'm not planning on ever owning any of the apple portable devices, and I know there are many others who wont either. Or many others who only have one of the supported devices.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure why this guy is getting attacked. I interpreted this as him just asking if there were other options and then stating his reasons why.

Its because apple fanboys dont like hearing criticisms of their glorified products. Especially when its constructive criticism.

The whole point of Snow Leopard is to tweak and improve the experience of OS X, as was the recent update for itunes as it got some optimizations as well.

I bring up a similar issue, calling 'iTunes' too bloated and I get attacked.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Honestly, the only thing I like about iTunes is its file management. Nothing else comes close and that's the only reason I use it.

Other than that, it's just a MP3 player.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Its because apple fanboys dont like hearing criticisms of their glorified products. Especially when its constructive criticism.

Calm down. Your idea of constructive criticism is misplaced because most of us have moved beyond the idea of dragging and dropping into a media player.

If you haven't used iTunes to manage your collection, playlists and syncing before then I suggest you restrict your posts to what you do know about. The idea that some of us are going to return to manually managing music for 80-120Gb devices is a backwards step.

advanced features like LAME encoding

Advanced for 2003, perhaps. There are a number of players out there, Cog is one of them, Play is another. Hope you find what you're looking for instead of ranting about an app that you haven't quite grasped the gist of and insulting people by calling them fanboys.

reclusivemonkey

macrumors 6502
Really....you mean ipods and all other devices from apple DONT need itunes in OSX? I didnt know this.

Well your initial post strictly referred to "digital audio players", but now you are changing you argument specifically to iPods. Make your mind up.

And no, certainly iPods do NOT need iTunes. Ever heard of Rockbox? As I said, you are either ignorant of your choices, or trolling. When you switch from arguing about your Sony MP3 player (which obviously does not need iTunes, why on earth would it?) to iPods I suspect the latter. If you really ARE interested in looking for iTunes alternatives, a simple search of this forum o google will tell you exactly what you need to know.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
The latest version of iTunes has gotten a LOT quicker in my opinion (I have a 400gb library) and run it both on Windows and OS X.

What i would LOVE for them to do is this: You know on OSX when you hit the green button and it goes to a mini player mode, if you double click a file in finder instead of annoyingly importing it to the library play it in that mode.

ITunes works only if you keep your music organised properly, if you don't it's not really the app for you. (I still use Winamp 2.x on windows) :p

I'd also love them to make a service based server version of iTunes (just like dragonfly) but supports videos and album art etc.

I don't think Apple will go for the whole file/folder based playback for the iPod seeing as their store is heavily integrated with iTunes it's a great medium for selling music, which is the ONLY reason why iTMS has been so popular.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah iTunes is way too bloated. There should be a iTunes Micro version with optional iTunes Store, without Genius, and optional Mobile support and optional Bonjour (for those who use an iPod Classic and not a Touch or iPhone) and optional Quicktime (for those who use Quicktime Alternative) and other unneeded stuff.

I use iTunes because I can get artwork and it makes tagging is really easy.

I'm not sure why this guy is getting attacked. I interpreted this as him just asking if there were other options and then stating his reasons why.
He got attacked because there ARE other options to manage the iPod and he isnt forced ANYTHING.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.