Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
feelfree82
macrumors newbie

Heat detection application

Hello,

Need help in figuring out if this kind of an application is possible/ already exists on iPhone.

App Name: Dont Misplace Me

Idea: App will help you in regarding misplacing your of phone.

Execution: App will be installed on ur laptop & ur phone both. You can configure one of the keys on the lappy to detect where you kept your phone. On click of the key on the laptop, phone will start buzzing.

The other way to use the app is while you are outdoor. Set up the app at a certain temp (like if the phone goes in your pocket/ purse then that temp.) Phone remains at the set temp you have set for the app. If the temp. changes drastically (X degrees + / -) & the phone is unattained for X amount mins, the phone starts vibrating 1st n if still unattained , starts buzzing.

PS: May be its a stupid idea, but thought of bouncing off to u all rather than keeping it to myself. Lemme know.

Amit
PEACE
feelfree82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
There's a similar App in the world of Jailbreak.

You can locate exactly where the phone is from your computer, and do other functions such as wiping all data on the device.

Also, aren't Apple releasing something similar with 3.0?

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Well these are the problems/issues I see with it.

The finder buzzer: Why can't you just call it? If you were able to find some way to make it RING while on SILENT using this app then that would be one thing. But otherwise I'm not seeing much benefit (other than just keeping it on constantly).

The heat sensor: If you leave your phone somewere (like your car) and it starts buzzing, you won't be there to know that it is buzzing!! So I don't see how that helps!

PLUS, from my understanding BOTH of these applications of it would be against the SDK!!!! Because they would both require the app to be running in the background. So I don't even think they are able to be made on a nonjb phone... maybe that's just my simple non-developer thoughts tho...

good luck!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
There's something like that that involves mobile me. But it was never really talked about, just discovered in a screen shot.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
renewed
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfree82 View Post
Hello,

Need help in figuring out if this kind of an application is possible/ already exists on iPhone.

App Name: Dont Misplace Me

Idea: App will help you in regarding misplacing your of phone.

Execution: App will be installed on ur laptop & ur phone both. You can configure one of the keys on the lappy to detect where you kept your phone. On click of the key on the laptop, phone will start buzzing.

The other way to use the app is while you are outdoor. Set up the app at a certain temp (like if the phone goes in your pocket/ purse then that temp.) Phone remains at the set temp you have set for the app. If the temp. changes drastically (X degrees + / -) & the phone is unattained for X amount mins, the phone starts vibrating 1st n if still unattained , starts buzzing.

PS: May be its a stupid idea, but thought of bouncing off to u all rather than keeping it to myself. Lemme know.

Amit
PEACE
A few remarks:

1. This isn't a bad idea. Apple is actually implementing this with MobileMe. You can locate your iPhone through MobileMe with 3.0.

2. I don't exactly see the difference in this and calling it.

3. The temperature thing is just not practical.
a) I can't see how it will be implemented
b) Temperature will be a variable. It can increase and decrease in your pocket, given change in location, body activity etc...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Liam8
macrumors 6502

Good Idea

I like that idea, there were some comments about it being useless but I would get it. Just make sure it is compatible with an iPod touch by using bluetooth or something with the new OS 3.0 coming out...

GREAT IDEA!!!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
ZebraineZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
There's a similar App in the world of Jailbreak.

You can locate exactly where the phone is from your computer, and do other functions such as wiping all data on the device.

What app is that? sounds nice.
ZebraineZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone