Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
My wife and I are trying to figure this out. I was browsing for discounted iTunes cards on ebay and found this:

linky

I don't get it. Why would someone pay 30+ bucks for a card worth only $25? Am I missing something?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
At least I'm not alone. I mean, there are $25 cards for less available as well. Totally odd.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Well, it may not make much sense for someone in the US to buy it for $30, but it allows someone from overseas to open an account in the US store without a US credit card, and buy stuff there (such as content which may not be available on other stores). They can then also get all the free singles etc too.

So yeah, $5 extra is worth it in that case IMO... A similar way is how I got my US account originally.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
eBay is also riddled with scammers who phish legitimate accounts and buy items using them.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Well, it may not make much sense for someone in the US to buy it for $30, but it allows someone from overseas to open an account in the US store without a US credit card, and buy stuff there (such as content which may not be available on other stores). They can then also get all the free singles etc too.

So yeah, $5 extra is worth it in that case IMO... A similar way is how I got my US account originally.

I suppose that would make sense, except for the same products at discounts.

It looks like a lot of these are boosted to appear at the top of the list, so it could be that the sellers are hoping unsavvy buyers will see it and take the bait.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
There are 2 situations:

1) People selling GiftCard for $30 in a card that worth only $25: it makes sense. There are people that do not live in US and want to buy credits to use in iTunes Store US because iTunes does not accept credit cards outside US to use in US Store.

2) People selling GiftCard for $70 for a card that worth $200: it makes NO SENSE. Probably it is a fraud (stolen credit cards, per example)!

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.