Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:25 PM   #1
MattG
macrumors 68040

My Software Update died...how do I get it back?

On my Powerbook, if I click on the Apple menu and select "Software Update," I see the little icon flashing in my dock, but the update screen never comes up. I've always got to Force-Quit it and open it through System Preferences, and it works through there. How do I fix it so it works once again through the Apple menu?

I've already tried doing a permissions repair...
MattG is offline   0
Old Dec 1, 2004, 01:35 PM   #2
pgrove2
macrumors newbie

Software Update died

Mine did too! I haven't been able to solve it either.
I thought somebody might suggest a way of restoring it by using the terminal and putting in a file name or a path name or something.
pgrove2 is offline   0
Old Dec 1, 2004, 01:46 PM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Go to ~/Library/Preferences and trash com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and SoftwareUpdateCheck.plist. Also, go to ~/Library/Caches and trash the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate and Software Update folders. Often times, this step has gotten Software Update to work again if it locks up or unexpectedly quits.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion