Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
LaMerVipere
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LaMerVipere
iPod mini Defect Story Is BALLOONING

This was on the Yahoo! front page today:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...iaudioproblems

And I just saw the same news scroll along the bottom of the screen while watching CNN.

Does Apple have a real problem on their hands here?
LaMerVipere is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:48 PM   #2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMerVipere
Does Apple have a real problem on their hands here?
it appears so. this is the problem with fame - people hold the magnifying glass up to you more often. all the glossy ad campaigns in the world can't cover up bad engineering.

here is a landslide of articles from Google News:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...ryID%3D4811276

let's hope the intense scrutiny causes Apple to tighten up the QC a bit.
603 is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:54 PM   #3
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

And on the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3621585.stm

...oh dear...
Old Apr 13, 2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Anyone have an idea why it is just a problem in some of the Mini's? I hope mine does not break. I don't know what I would do with out it!
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

I dont see why they dont just put a big glob of epoxy right on those pins where the black connector is, they do that with capacitors everywhere. That would keep things in place and prevent those pins from working loose.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603
let's hope the intense scrutiny causes Apple to tighten up the QC a bit.
But it's an engineering issue, not QC. If a part meets design specs and is within tolerances, it passes QC. Since the casing meets the (slightly flawed) design, it passes QC with no problem (until someone uses it )
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:26 PM   #7
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
I dont see why they dont just put a big glob of epoxy right on those pins where the black connector is, they do that with capacitors everywhere. That would keep things in place and prevent those pins from working loose.
Until you try and take it apart. I'm sure the techs wouldn't like it
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:31 PM   #8
loladze
macrumors newbie

I am surprised by the attention to this problem. Die-hard Apple fans vehemently attacked my original post here on Macrumors, where I first described the problem. So I did not think that Apple is going to look into it. I am thankful to those macrumor regulars that saw some useful info in my post.
Here are some pictures of the “stiff connection” from my mini imbedded in some parody story:

http://www.math.unl.edu/~iloladze/iPod.htm
loladze is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:32 PM   #9
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
Until you try and take it apart. I'm sure the techs wouldn't like it
i mean at the factory
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:40 PM   #10
PowerMacMan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
i mean at the factory
Can't it be that these (poor) infected iPod's are just a part of an affected batch of iPod's?

Some are working great, even after being dropped or roughly handled some report...

Few report of these defections, and they don't use them any rougher then the people with iPods that are working fine do...
1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HDD/9600XT/AirPort/BT + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
PowerMacMan is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:02 PM   #11
LaMerVipere
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LaMerVipere
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMacMan
Can't it be that these (poor) infected iPod's are just a part of an affected batch of iPod's?

Some are working great, even after being dropped or roughly handled some report...

Few report of these defections, and they don't use them any rougher then the people with iPods that are working fine do...
Only time will tell, the iPod mini's haven't been out for that long so anyone who currently isn't having problems (we can assume) will develop them in time.
LaMerVipere is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:16 PM   #12
Krizoitz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladze
I am surprised by the attention to this problem. Die-hard Apple fans vehemently attacked my original post here on Macrumors, where I first described the problem. So I did not think that Apple is going to look into it. I am thankful to those macrumor regulars that saw some useful info in my post.
Here are some pictures of the “stiff connection” from my mini imbedded in some parody story:

http://www.math.unl.edu/~iloladze/iPod.htm
I don't think people so much were upset by your posting a problem, but instead with the tone of the post. Plus you have a lot of reactionaries on here.

Regardless it is a very real problem, and I'm glad to see that Apple is addressing it.
Krizoitz is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
i mean at the factory
Well, I was talking about how much of a PITA it would be for the techs if they had to open one. Of course, they could always just replace it...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:18 PM   #14
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizoitz
Regardless it is a very real problem, and I'm glad to see that Apple is addressing it.
Well, we don't know for sure that they're looking at it, but it's likely. One rather easy way to fix it would be to add a little lip on the top there so it would be harder to bend. However, that would make the manufacturing harder, as all the innards barely make it through that hole as it is. The only other solution I can think of would be to put some sort of bracing there, either making that section of the casing slightly thicker, or perhaps having a small piece of aluminum going through the board so that it is in contact with both sides.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:40 PM   #15
brhmac
Banned

Thumbs up Your post was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladze
FWIW, I think the content and the tone of your post were fine. People seem to forget this forum is an open forum for the Macintosh community.

You discussed a problem with your iPod and articulated a theory about the cause. Don't take the sniping personally -- the critical comments you received didn't address the point of your post, so they say more about the people making them than they do about you.

Keep your chin up, and keep posting.
brhmac is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers