Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I just switched from the PC to an iMac. I have a web site http://www.nypetshots.com, to which I periodically upload updated photo galleries. On the PC I used a very simple and elegant FTP program from Ipswitch, called WTS (I think that was the name). That program doesn't come in a Mac version. It was very simple in that it contacted my site and opened up a double paned window which showed me the files on the server and an explorer type view of my computer. I selected the files and dragged them to the proper place on the server, and VOILA! a minute or so later my site was updated.

What's available for the Mac which would be comparable? I saw a program called "Fetch" and the APPLE site has one called Classic FTP. I'm interested in low cost, ease of use, and reliability. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steven

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Cyberduck and Fetch are popular FTP Clients for Mac. I personally use Cyberduck.

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
Transmit is alright, reminds me too much of a windows app, like FileZilla. Cyberduck trumps transmit in every way, if you ask me. It's so simple; when I tried using a Windows computer for web design, I simply could not. Mainly because I didn't have a program as simple, powerful, and intuitive as cyberduck.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

RobotBanana

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
I use CyberDuck. It's not a bad program, and it's free. I don't see why such a simple task as FTP transfers should cost money.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
FireFTP is a Firefox extension, not a standalone FTP client.
oh yes. and it does work like an ftp client. offers most. if not all functions most users expected from an ftp client.

and its free.

fireftp.png

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
FileZilla and Transmit are often way more than most people will use. Even as a web designer, I rarely need anything more than Cyberduck. It's easy to use, free, fast, and has many features.

davidkavanaugh

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
North Carolina
I'd have to say Cyberduck. Not that it needed to be said at all--as the majority here suggests it. But I too once used Transmit. Yes, definitely too much like a windows app. But I now use Cyberduck. It's simple, easy, and doesn't suck up a lot of RAM like some ftp clients do.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.