Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Ok... PCs are cheaper but... you get to run Windows...

I have saying for thta: is not the place, is the company.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
So they're selling it entirely on price. Clever of them, in a way, because they're taking advantage of the bad economy.

Be interesting to see how Apple answers this. IMO, it's a fair criticism. I don't know how many people I know who'd like a laptop but have turned down Apple flat-out because of the price. Maybe we need the laptop equivalent of a Mac mini. (Pricewise...not a laptop without a screen, smartass! ;) )

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
So they're selling it entirely on price. Clever of them, in a way, because they're taking advantage of the bad economy.

Be interesting to see how Apple answers this. IMO, it's a fair criticism. I don't know how many people I know who'd like a laptop but have turned down Apple flat-out because of the price. Maybe we need the laptop equivalent of a Mac mini. (Pricewise...not a laptop without a screen, smartass! ;) )

I turned down a Apple laptop purely on price, for the money i got a HP with way better specs, just didn't make economical sense. (This was my sisters when she broke her macbook, insurance paid out).

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I rather like that Microsoft have given a few little jabs back at Apple, who have previously been taking jabs at PCs for years.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Yes, everyone knows Macs generally have a higher price tag. What's new here?

And a $699 17" Notebook? Has anyone seen how horrifically bad the screen on those notebooks are?

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008

Netbook, anyone?:D

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Apple can come back with an ad where they get that same exact laptop from best buy, get it's vista experience rating number, then install vista on a macbook pro 17" and get it's Vista experience rating. Im willing to bet it would be much higher than that laptop from best buy, maybe even if they installed it in a virtual machine without even running bootcamp it might get a better score. Then show how long the battery lasts on the two.

Point: sure you can get a cheaper laptop running windows, but the mac that you didnt buy because it was 'too expensive' is loads better than that PC you just bought. Sony marks their prices up, so I'm sure if you got a 17" from them, it'd be the same amount as a macbook pro and im still not convinced it'd get the same vista rating as the mac would.

Apple isnt going to make crap. My two year old MBP 2.2 ghz is just as fast as it was when i got it, not running slow because of malware or having to run a virus scanner every time it boots (which it does in about 30 seconds). On the other hand, even just my XP virtual machine is dogging after a year of having it installed..on a virtual machine that all i have on it is office 2003 and some software for my job! I used PCs up until 4 years ago, and every one I've had was full of crap after I bought it! dell or HP or Gateway, they all would fill it up with trial programs of this and that. You try to uninstall them but it is to no avail. Then you have to put virus protection on it, which decides to run at the most inconvenient times, slowing down the entire computer. My family gave away all of our PCs after moving completely to macs. They werent even worth selling, and a couple were a year or two old.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That's like giving people $10,000 to buy a car and then saying that since they got a Kia, it must mean that Audis and BMWs are overpriced :rolleyes:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Here's the laptop she got for $700
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+17+inch+laptop&type=product&id=1218041148373
It may be 17", but it's got poor resolution for the screen size, slower ram, questonable CPU, rubbish battery, 100Mb (not gigabit) ethernet, G wireless, shared graphics memory. Comes with Vista, the list goes on.

There's a reason it's cheap...

So? What if she wants a 17" notebook because she's a student who wants the biggest screen possible in her dorm, but still some sort of portability for when she travels home in summer?

There are plenty of reasons why people would buy these machines.

Microsoft are advertising to consumers - they do not care about gigabit ethernet or Wireless N. They don't care about screen viewing angles. They don't care about shared graphics memory either.

Now we're on that, doesn't Apple sell a computer with a smaller screen, lower resolution, poor viewing angles, shared graphics memory and rubbish battery? Yeah. And it costs nearly double what this girl paid for her computer.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i like how they emphasize the price points for a "17 inch". they dont even compare the specs. oh i can get a 17 inch P.O.C for 700 bucks, but! it still is 17 inch and thats all that matters!;)

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
i like how they emphasize the price points for a "17 inch". they dont even compare the specs. oh i can get a 17 inch P.O.C for 700 bucks, but! it still is 17 inch and thats all that matters!;)

It may be all that matters if she wants a big screen to watch movies on which is also a portable laptop.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008

Of course. They're going to choose Apple's top of the line. The sad thing is, loads of people will fall for these ads even though comparing the 17" MacBook Pro to the 17" PC in this ad is like apples and oranges.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Of course. They're going to choose Apple's top of the line. The sad thing is, loads of people will fall for these ads even though comparing the 17" MacBook Pro to the 17" PC in this ad is like apples and oranges.

In what way? Apart from price, the machines are pretty similar.

Both have dual core processors, both have 4GB RAM, both have a 17" screen, both have a 320GB hard drive, both have a DVD-RW drive, both have built in webcams, both have a one year warranty.

The only area where the MacBook Pro will likely outperform the HP is in battery life, but then, I don't want to be one to fall for Apple's marketing garbage on that. I'm promised 5 hours on my MacBook, I get closer to 2 and a half.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
What's the point of this? Oh PC has more varieties and choices? Oh I didn't know that :rolleyes:

dL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.