Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:11 PM   #1
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

iDVD and QuickTime Woes...

I have fansubbed episodes of an anime which I'd like to burn to DVD with nice little menus using iDVD.

Of course, iDVD likes nothing but .mov files.

So I try to convert the AVIs to .mov files.

...they come out at 10GB a piece.

Obviously this won't fit on a DVD.

So, can someone help me?
neoelectronaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:24 AM   #2
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

It converts everything you feed it. It will all get compressed to fit on a DVD though. The important thing isn't how large the file is, but how long the movie is. A 10GB file might be about 40 minutes in length so that's 40 minutes off your DVD's 60 minutes.
Horrortaxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Makosuke
macrumors 603

As the above poster said, the size of the QT movie is irrelevant--only the length. iMovie works with DV streams, which are 4MB/second and only lightly compressed. iDVD compresses and burns MPEG2, which has much higher compression and, in the case of iDVD4, can compress 2 hours of video to fit on a DVD. The less you're squeezing in, the better the quality, of course, but it'll work in any case.

So, if you can open and play the AVI in Quicktime Player, and you've got QuickTime Pro (worth the $20), this is all you have to do:

Open the videos in QT player. Choose export from the menu, and select "dv stream". Make sure your video is in NTSC (unless of course you're from a PAL country), and that the sound is included. This will export a big, ol' chunk of video in .dv format.

You can then drop that file in the Media folder in an iMovie project folder, and open iMovie. When you do, it'll ask if you want to add the clip(s) to the clips pane. Say yes, and you're done--now just put the project together and feed it to iDVD.

Two caveats: You might be able to drop the .dv file directly into an iDVD window and have it recognize it; never tried, but it's worth a shot if you don't need to adjust anything.

And, iMovie may have trouble importing .dv clips bigger than 2GB (9 minutes); earlier versions did, anyway. If it does, and the direct-drag-into-iDVD doesn't work, just cut the AVI up into chunks (copy and paste pieces of it into new movies in QT player), export those, and put them together in iMovie. I've done this (with anime I fansubbed myself) and had no noticable glitches at the breaks.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 07:38 PM   #4
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

Thanks for the help, man.

I tried converting to DV format and plopping it into iMovie, but the video and audio were out of sync...so I'm reconverting at a different audio rate. If this doesn't work, I think I may just as well give up.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:14 PM   #5
Makosuke
macrumors 603

When you export as a .dv stream, don't forget to turn on locked audio--that seems to help with synch issues. Also make sure you've got the latest version of the DivX codec, since it cleans up some issues with funky .avi audio.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 07:44 PM   #6
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

I'm just about to give up...

Encoding to DV stream not only gives teh video funky aspect ratio, but the audio skips, also like it's skipping every 10 seconds.

Any other ideas?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:45 AM   #7
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

Okay, get this.

Since iMovie or iDVD wouldn't work with the AVI and Quicktime ruined it as far as a DV stream, I put it in Toast 6 and exported it as a DV stream using that.

...turns out it worked perfectly.

lol.

Anyway, now my question is that I thought DVDs could hold more than one measly hour of video...I don't want to waste an entire DVD on just to episodes.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 09:41 AM   #8
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoelectronaut
Anyway, now my question is that I thought DVDs could hold more than one measly hour of video...
They can, Toast can't. iDVD can put up to 2 hours on one DVD.
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:40 AM   #9
tvg75
macrumors newbie

Help anybody can help me burn quicktime videos to dvd ?

Hi, I have a quicktime Arthur PBS episode and I want to burn it in on idvd ? How do I do this ? write eferrucci@aol.com
tvg75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Open iDVD. Drag and drop your Quicktime file into the main window. Click the Burn wheel.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store