Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
mailgooglecom.jpg

Hi, as seen above, my number is not actually 111... but I cannot get it to change to my real number. I have restored numerous times and reinserted my sim card and inserted the sim card into another phone, etc. and it won't work.

How can I fix it?

Software unlocked iPhone 3G on T-Mobile

wilmer007

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
oh yeah this happens to me too. i read somewhere that the only way to ever change this is to get a new sim card with your number on it. hopefully that's not the case and someone knows a fix for this. my phone displays a temporary number that t-mobile gave me and once my number was ported over to the sim card it didn't change the number displayed. hopefully theres a fix but i doubt it and it doesn't really bother me that much.

firestarter03

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I believe this number is stored on the actual sim so the only way of changing it is to put the sim in another phone and change the 'own number' field. I had to do this when I ported my old number to a new sim and it showed the wrong phone number in iTunes under 'my number'. I used my samsung d500 to sort it out but apparently SEs are good for this too.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
Actually I installed the 3.0 beta and now if you go to Settings and then Phone, you can change your number to whatever. So it is fixed now!

wilmer007

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
oh ok i'll ask my friend to lend me his sidekick and hopefully i can change the number. if not then i guess i'll wait for 3.0

below sea level

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Reviving an old thread here...

Does anyone know what that number is used for? It doesn't change the caller ID, so doesn't really seem to have a purpose.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
The purpose is that it puts that number on the iTunes summary page for your iPhone.

So if you for instance you deactivated your cell service with this phone because you are going to sell it and don't want your old number to be in the phone. It doesn't get erased during a reset, so go to the phone settings page and you can change it. Then connect it to iTunes and you can see it will also be changed there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.