Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I recently purchased the new Time Capsule and am trying to get it to work with both laptops I have. With the older (Feb. 08) MacBookPro, it is doing the first backup (although, for some reason, only wirelessly, not through an Ethernet cable (it stops at a little over 100 kb); however, with a newer (Nov. 08) MacBook, when I try to run a back-up, I get:

Time Machine Error

The backup disk image could not be created.

I'm not trying to do them at the same time, although I assume you can. However, the older machine was copied to the newer machine--if that matters.

The Time Capsule has the latest update (7.4.1, I think) because I did that already. Both laptops are up to date also.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

CSC

++++++++++++

The solution is remarkably easy--and you would think Time Machine would tell you the problem. The computer needed to be named for the image to be created. In case anyone searches for the same problem:

1. Open into System Preferences
2. Under Internet & Network, open Sharing
3. Make sure that the "Computer Name" box has text in it.

Having done that, Time Machine now works (and the Ethernet connection works where it would not with the other computer (??)).

CSC

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Delete the backup sparsebundle on the TC. Remove the TC from your TM settings. Add the TC drive again. Start backup again.

I've had this happen a few times. At worst format the TC drive.

Tropical Mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks...very helpful instructions...It worked first shot. You are right that
Time Machine should direct you to set up the name. I luv my new 24 Imac
and the best feature was the transfer of every single bit of data (including passwords, IDs and bookmarks etc.) from my 5 year old Mac. Macs Rule!:D

I recently purchased the new Time Capsule and am trying to get it to work with both laptops I have. With the older (Feb. 08) MacBookPro, it is doing the first backup (although, for some reason, only wirelessly, not through an Ethernet cable (it stops at a little over 100 kb); however, with a newer (Nov. 08) MacBook, when I try to run a back-up, I get:

Time Machine Error

The backup disk image could not be created.

I'm not trying to do them at the same time, although I assume you can. However, the older machine was copied to the newer machine--if that matters.

The Time Capsule has the latest update (7.4.1, I think) because I did that already. Both laptops are up to date also.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

CSC

++++++++++++

The solution is remarkably easy--and you would think Time Machine would tell you the problem. The computer needed to be named for the image to be created. In case anyone searches for the same problem:

1. Open into System Preferences
2. Under Internet & Network, open Sharing
3. Make sure that the "Computer Name" box has text in it.

Having done that, Time Machine now works (and the Ethernet connection works where it would not with the other computer (??)).

CSC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.