Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I am looking for the best bike mount for my iPhone. I just got the motionX app and love it so far. Now I just need a sturdy mount to lock my iPhone in. What I have seen so far look very cheaply constructed, I need something very strong.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Since I can't seem to find a good bike mount so I am trying to attach my iPhone to my bike with its OtterBox Defender case using velcro. I may be on to something. But it seems the iPhone is not as secure in the OtterBox case with the screen facing out as it is with the screen facing in. I know if I did some mountain biking the iPhone would fall out. I guess I could tape over the top part of the iPhone but then I would need to cut out an opening for the light sensor. Hmmmm, I need some more deep thought about this.

I wonder if an armband type holder would work better?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
That is a poorly constructed plastic mount. The girl doing the video didn't even know which way to turn the clamp screw, that was funny. Righty tightly, lefty loosy.

You want to use a $500+ phone with a pane of glass on it while riding a bike

Doesn't say much about yourself either

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Try a $299 phone with an OtterBox Defender case on it. SquareTrade accident insurance covers the phone should it get broken. But I also ride around with my $450 Garmin Edge 705 bike computer, that has no case or insurance and am not worried.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol

Doesn't say much about yourself either

Try searching the iTunes store for B.icycle and other such programs!

Why bother posting pointless retorts that are of no use! Clearly if someone is looking for a proper bike mount, then they are using it for a purpose......

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I drive a car that I paid several thousand dollars for down the highway frequently, where I get hit with rocks and sand and bugs and all kinds of crap that dull my finish and damage my car. Wow, I'm an idiot. I should just leave it in the garage.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008

That is virtually identical to the RAM mount that I just ordered for $17 plus shipping:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...45050055052045049045065080054085/Default.aspx

This happens to be the one recommended by motionx-gps and I have corresponded with them and they love this one.

With all these mounts, you have to be careful if you have a 'real' bike. I have a carbon fibre road bike with 'oversized' handlebars (most of them are now 'oversized'). The bar diameter is 32.8mm and most mounts won't fit that.
The RAM and the one quoted above will because they are attached with appliance ties which ensures a large enough fit.

As I see it, this is the only way to go.

The many jaw types that are on eBay have two problems: they won't fit many road bike bars and, more importantly, they are not custom fit and therefore risk dropping the phone.

My only issue with the RAM holder is that it won't take an iPhone with a case on it---now if someone would make that holder, I would be all over it.

By the way, I bought motionx-gps and don't see what b.icycle has to offer over it for $9.99.
Anyone?

PecanEater

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2007
Following up here with request for review on iPhone bicycle / bike mounts...

The Arkon IPM127 Bicycle Mount for iPhone looks nice and I think Arkon makes quality products but I'm afraid that the mount won't fit wide-diameter handle bars or wide-diameter stems. In my case I'd like to mount to my Nitto UI-5GX stem and I'm pretty sure this mount won't fit around it.

The Ram mount seems more versatile in accepting handle bars and stems of different diameters because it uses zip ties that can be tightened to any diameter. The downside is that, as one review on the site notes, there is nothing to prevent rolling forward or backwards. Perhaps adding some type of adhesive would eliminate this problem. Looking at the Amazon reviews of the ram, it seems like multiple people are complaining of the iPhone falling out of the mount. This seems to be a big issue.

The mount from ibikemount.com looks similar to the Ram mount in that it relies on zip ties. The main difference appears to be how the iphone holder attaches to the mount. The Ram appears to use screws to attach. The ibikemount uses some type of plastic to plastic twisting mechanism.

Anyone have experience with these mounts? I'm particularly interested in how well the mounts hold the phone.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
This is the best option by a long shot it has slide in case so it wont pop out and also slides on and off of the bike connector. it also uses zip ties I have not found a better one for my bike except I want the arkel handle bar bag that has a enclosed area for the iphone as a gps which you are able to still use the touch feature.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The downside is that, as one review on the site notes, there is nothing to prevent rolling forward or backwards.
I have never had my RAM mount roll around, nor have I have my iPhone fail out of this mount. I would suspect the people having these issues don't know how to install the mount or iPhone properly. The folks at MotionX GPS also used this mount for the testing of their iPhone App and never had any issues during rough trail rides.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The Ram mount seems more versatile in accepting handle bars and stems of different diameters because it uses zip ties that can be tightened to any diameter. The downside is that, as one review on the site notes, there is nothing to prevent rolling forward or backwards.

ZIP TIES ??????

According to this picture of a motorcycle mount, RAM uses METAL U BOLTS and CLAMOP ON MOUNTS to mount to the bars, and not ZIP TIES.

RAMB149ZC1U.jpg
RAM-B-181U.jpg

This is what RAM recommend for mounting an iPhone to a motorcycle ...

RAM-B-149ZU.jpg
RAM-HOL-AP6U.jpg

Here is what RAM says about their mount ......
The u-bolt base makes attaching to handlebars, tubing, or railing a breeze. Simple to install and easy to use, the possibilities become endless. Rubber ball and socket technology allows for almost infinite adjustment and perfect viewing angles. High quality materials insure your device is safe, secure, and within easy reach. RAM’s patented design also dampens shock and vibration helping to extend the life of your mobile device. Included in this package is hardware that accommodates rails from 0.75" to 1.25" in diameter.

I have never had my RAM mount roll around, nor have I have my iPhone fail out of this mount. I would suspect the people having these issues don't know how to install the mount or iPhone properly. The folks at MotionX GPS also used this mount for the testing of their iPhone App and never had any issues during rough trail rides.

As a motorcyclist who owns several brands of motorcycles, I am a member of several online forums.

The RAM mount system is highly recommended on those forums by people who use RAM to mount all types of devices such as GPS units, Cell Phones, Video Cameras, Still Cameras and other small to medium sized electronic devices.

I have not once heard of a RAM mount spinning on the handle bars.

If I had any complaint about the RAM mounting system it would be for appearance, for this reason I custom manufacture mounts on a case by case basis.

PecanEater

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2007
This is the best option by a long shot it has slide in case so it wont pop out and also slides on and off of the bike connector. it also uses zip ties I have not found a better one for my bike except I want the arkel handle bar bag that has a enclosed area for the iphone as a gps which you are able to still use the touch feature.

What is the best option????

PecanEater

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2007
ZIP TIES ??????

According to this picture of a motorcycle mount, RAM uses METAL U BOLTS and CLAMOP ON MOUNTS to mount to the bars, and not ZIP TIES.

RAMB149ZC1U.jpg
RAM-B-181U.jpg

This is what RAM recommend for mounting an iPhone to a motorcycle ...

RAM-B-149ZU.jpg
RAM-HOL-AP6U.jpg

YES! ZIP TIES!!! If you follow the link I posted about the item I am talking about, you would see that the bicycle mount (and NOT the motorcycle mount) attaches with ZIP TIES!!!

The METAL U BOLTS and CLAMOP ON MOUNTS that RAM uses on their motorcycle mounts are obviously more secure and I doubt they would roll. However, as I clearly stated in my post I am looking for a mount that does not restrict me to a fixed diameter handlebar. The metal u-bolts have the same problem for me as the Arcon mount - namely that the will not allow me to attach the mount to my Nitto UI-5GX stem which has a much wider diameter than any standard handlebar.

Regarding security, I am more worried about the security of the phone in the case part of the mount. I know that MotionX GPS recommends the mount and they don't seem to have a problem but at least one person on Amazon has said that their phone flew out of the Ram mount. Granted it could be a moron who didn't put the phone in the case correctly but it certainly makes me worry.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
We were talking about the RAM iPhone mount for bicycles.

< sarcasm = ON>
Oh my bad ..... must be some law that says a mount that firmly clamps around the round handlebar of a motorcycle, cannot clamp around the round handlebar of a bicycle.
< sarcasm = OFF >

YES ... I knew you were talking about BICYCLE HANDLEBARS, and I know that many manufacturers offer 'less rugged' product for bicycles than they do for motorcycles.

I also know that bicycles and motorcycles have round handlebars and that motorcycle mounts will work on bicycles. RAM mount in particular uses the same 'device mount', but attach it to different base mounts.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box in order to get something accomplished.

I have a RAM mount for a GPS on my motorcycle.
I used the same mount for the same GPS on a Mountain Bicycle.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
We were responding to the fact that you stated you did not see zip ties being used for the RAM mount and that the RAM mount we were all talking about was the RAM bicycle mount, not the metal motorcycle mount.

Yes we understand the metal RAM motorcycle mount can be used on a bicycle. However most of us would not use it because we are concerned about weight savings. That is why they use plastic for bicycle mounts. These aren't your old $75 Huffy bikes, these are modern light weight rides that can cost thousands of dollars where weight is an issue.

PecanEater

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2007
< sarcasm = ON>
Sometimes you have to think outside the box in order to get something accomplished.

So in your mind thinking outside the box means saying they don't use zip ties when the do, not addressing the question regarding a mount that fits on wide diameter tubes, and instead talking about your motorcycle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.