Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stenackj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I know that Apple says only the late 2008 Mac Pros and MacBook Pros can do this but has anyone tried or has this changed at all? I have a 1st generation Mac Pro that I'd love to get the use of ALL of my RAM when in Windows but can only do that with a 64-Bit version of Vista. Is it possible to install a 64-bit version of Vista on my 1st generation Mac Pro?

Thanks

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
I know that Apple says only the late 2008 Mac Pros and MacBook Pros can do this but has anyone tried or has this changed at all? I have a 1st generation Mac Pro that I'd love to get the use of ALL of my RAM when in Windows but can only do that with a 64-Bit version of Vista. Is it possible to install a 64-bit version of Vista on my 1st generation Mac Pro?

Thanks

Yes... make sure you have the current version of Bootcamp.

CBell

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
What about 64 bit XP? I have a 64 bit XP install disk, but when I tried to install it on my new Nehalem Mac Pro it won't work. Any help?

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
What about 64 bit XP? I have a 64 bit XP install disk, but when I tried to install it on my new Nehalem Mac Pro it won't work. Any help?

64 bit XP installed on my Nehalem Mac Pro... the problem is drivers and crashing. It's not officially supported on bootcamp.

CBell

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
64 bit XP installed on my Nehalem Mac Pro... the problem is drivers and crashing. It's not officially supported on bootcamp.

Can you tell me how you did that? I was trying to install xp 64 on mine, and Windows just wouldn't install. The installation screen would never get to the part where it asks where I want to install Windows. I've done some searches on google, but everything I find seems to be 2 or 3 years old.

stenackj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
No luck getting this to work. I have Bootcamp 2.0 installed and downloaded 2.1. Also found out that I need to download 2.0.1 before I can upgrade to 2.1. I spent a few hours downloading all 5 parts of the 2.0.1 drivers from rapidshare and found out that was a waste of time because none of the files will unzip due to some stupid error, no matter what program I use, except for the 1st one and those are all Windows files anyways. WTF? So how do I do this?

When I put try to install 64-bit vista my machine just locks up with the select cd type option, or something to that effect and gives two options of 1 & 2 but nothing works on my keyboard and I am forced to power down my computer. So am I supposed to somehow update my bootcamp in OS X to 2.1 even though there isn't a mac version?

I even tried taking the Mac OS X DVD that came with my new macbook pro and just doing a clean install but it won't let me. Is there a way for me to just extract the needed drivers from that DVD because nothing else seems to work.

I can't find good clear step by step guidance on this anywhere on the net. So frustrating....

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
Can you tell me how you did that? I was trying to install xp 64 on mine, and Windows just wouldn't install. The installation screen would never get to the part where it asks where I want to install Windows. I've done some searches on google, but everything I find seems to be 2 or 3 years old.

Well XP 64 is not supported by bootcamp. I was able to install it but it crashed and the bootcamp drivers didn't load automatically. I didn't do anything special to install it.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
When I put try to install 64-bit vista my machine just locks up with the select cd type option, or something to that effect and gives two options of 1 & 2 but nothing works on my keyboard and I am forced to power down my computer.

Solution (need a working windows installation or a windows-pc):

0 - create 3 folders c:\windows64iso c:\windows64exe c:\windows64dvd
1 - download this .exe file and put into c:\windows64exe
2 - put .iso you downloaded from ms (or an .iso you created from your retail windows disc) into c:\windows64iso and unzip it
3 - move .iso file out of c:\windows64iso
4 - open a dos prompt in c:\windows64exe and type:

oscdimg -n -m -bc:\windows64iso\boot\etfsboot.com c:\windows64iso c:\windows64dvd\windows64dvd.iso

The windows64dvd.iso is the file you gonna burn onto a new DVD

Enjoy !

stenackj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Awesome! Thank you very much for this info Dragonforce but I need to clarify a few things in your instructions. I just know enough about computers to be dangerous with them!

"3 - move .iso file out of c:\windows64iso"
Question - Where do I move the .iso file to? Just put it directly in C:?

"4 - open a dos prompt in c:\windows64exe and type:"
Question - Is there a special way of doing this when you mention to open it "in" c:\windows64exe? The only way I know is to open up the cmd prompt thrugh the "start" menu.

If you can clarify these two steps a little bit more it would help out even more.

Again, I appreciate the advice you've already given me.

Thanks!

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
Awesome! Thank you very much for this info Dragonforce but I need to clarify a few things in your instructions. I just know enough about computers to be dangerous with them!

"3 - move .iso file out of c:\windows64iso"
Question - Where do I move the .iso file to? Just put it directly in C:?

"4 - open a dos prompt in c:\windows64exe and type:"
Question - Is there a special way of doing this when you mention to open it "in" c:\windows64exe? The only way I know is to open up the cmd prompt thrugh the "start" menu.

If you can clarify these two steps a little bit more it would help out even more.

Again, I appreciate the advice you've already given me.

Thanks!

For 3 - Just move it away, or delete it. Just make sure its not in the folder. You won't need it anymore.

For 4 - You could open a DOS prompt from the START menu and type "cd windows64exe", that will do just fine ;-)

stenackj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Hahaha! Thanks! I just figured it out and was able to complete the steps and was logging back into here to tell you not to worry about it since I figured it out. Thanks anyways...again!

Nadav35

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
Help! Just got a 1st Gen Mac Pro

Hello,

I know I am kind of late to this forum, but I really would like a simplistic solution to installing Windows 7 64-bit on my mac pro. I know I have a 2006-2007 mac pro and Apple is requiring a 2008 or better to install and run 64-bit windows 7.

Can someone please offer me assistance on what I need to do to get 64-bit windows 7 running? I have downloaded already the beta of windows 7 64-bit, but when I goto try and install it, it prompts me with a 1 2 insert cd-rom or something and everything locks up.

I am fully aware of the EFI32/64 problem, and though I already have an ATI Radeon 4870 1GB coming to me, I sure would like to know how to get windows 7 64-bit up and running.

Thank you.

Nadav

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I manage to install Vista 64-bit, but not Boot Camp. Apparently Boot Camp 64-bit only works with 2008/9 Mac Pro. All I've got is a non-working express keys on my keyboard, and some failed-to-launch windows processes.

So much for Apple's once top notch Mac Pro. 2 years later, the support comes to a standstill. Kinda regret investing so much in return for so little support. :mad:

mburwell

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
I just installed Vista 64 on my new Mac Pro and it is working incredibly well. It's fast boot up and so far I think I'll be happy with it. The issue I am having is internal hard drive transfer rates. I am trying to transfer between two internal HD's and I can only get around 60mb/sec. Seems odd and I should be seeing much higher rates. I was searching around for help on that and found this posting. Anyway, just my personal experience but Vista 64 Boot Camped is running just fine for me.

Nadav35

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
Don't give up!!! I have something here which can help

Eithanius: If you would like to install 64-bit windows on your 2006-2007 mac pro and I mean REALLY install it, please email me at nadav343@hotmail.com and I can provide for you a link which will explain step by step on what to do to get the 2006-2007 mac pros to accept and run fully 64-bit windows 7 and Vista. I am not sure about windows XP 64 though.

I manage to install Vista 64-bit, but not Boot Camp. Apparently Boot Camp 64-bit only works with 2008/9 Mac Pro. All I've got is a non-working express keys on my keyboard, and some failed-to-launch windows processes.

So much for Apple's once top notch Mac Pro. 2 years later, the support comes to a standstill. Kinda regret investing so much in return for so little support. :mad:

Nadav35

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
Why not try Windows 7

I think you will find Windows 7 much better :)

I just installed Vista 64 on my new Mac Pro and it is working incredibly well. It's fast boot up and so far I think I'll be happy with it. The issue I am having is internal hard drive transfer rates. I am trying to transfer between two internal HD's and I can only get around 60mb/sec. Seems odd and I should be seeing much higher rates. I was searching around for help on that and found this posting. Anyway, just my personal experience but Vista 64 Boot Camped is running just fine for me.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Eithanius: If you would like to install 64-bit windows on your 2006-2007 mac pro and I mean REALLY install it, please email me at nadav343@hotmail.com and I can provide for you a link which will explain step by step on what to do to get the 2006-2007 mac pros to accept and run fully 64-bit windows 7 and Vista. I am not sure about windows XP 64 though.

Why not just post the link?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.