Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
On apple.com I read a how-to article on recording guitar. http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/connectingguitar/

I have recorded directly into garageband (v2.02, iMac G5) with a 1/4' to 1/8' adapter, but I know to get a good sound you need to boost the guitar's output signal. Im wondering what is a good budget pre amp to do this (and I mean budget, like 50 euro tops!)

I know its probably painfully obvious to ye, but is the iMic a pre-amp and would it do a good job?

I have a mini amp that has a headphone port, could i use this, or my larger 15 watt? And usb interfaces work too but apparently these are very expensive..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!=]

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Sorry, idk the price in euros, but the Presonus TubePre is a pretty good budget preamp for a D.I. box. Although list price is $129, it can be found for $99 new in many online stores if you search around. Review. Pictures.

Ahh, dashboard let me know its about 75 euros. From what I can see the iMic doesn't have a Hi-Z input that you would need for D.I. someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

applekidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Ahh looks cool man thanks for that! (and the currency conversion lol)

What about using a mini amp as a pre amp?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ahh looks cool man thanks for that! (and the currency conversion lol)

What about using a mini amp as a pre amp?

That's the best way to go. Plug the guitar into the practice amp and then run the headphone output in the like Line-in jack. Guitar amps sound a lot different than recording preamps meant for microphones. You want the guitar amp sound.

Start with the volume all the way down to zero and move up a little at a time. You don't want to blow up the computer's audio interface.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
ChrisA said:
Guitar amps sound a lot different than recording preamps meant for microphones. You want the guitar amp sound.

Though if you record dry through a preamp (which is meant for both mics, AND guitars, hence the instrument input on the back), you will be able to use all the Amp sims built into garageband, as I'm sure you are now, going through the line-in on your iMac. The preamp will just bring your guitar to a line level to clean up the signal going to your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.